Rear suspension problems

9 replies to this topic
  • Yamiryder

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:02 PM

my 07 450 has something wrong in the rear end. The shock seems to be acting really stiff, but i haven't adjusted the compression or rebound settings. I set the sag at 105mm, but i backed the preload down, so i don't think that would change it, as i didn't even move it a full turn. I did, however, grease all the linkage, shock, and swingarm bearings. I had to replace the lower shock bearing when i did this. I used a hammer and a socket to put the bearing in, which i know isn't the best way. is it possible this damaged the bearing, and it isn't allowing the needles to turn? I can't think that i put anything in wrong, or my shock could need rebuilt also...i just don't know what it is, but something is causing my rear end to be stiffer than it should. sorry for the long post :bonk:

• crf450319

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:27 PM

So, I'll assume that the rear end felt fine before you pulled it apart ? Loosening the lock collar will of course give you less pre-load, which would make it softer not harder. But like you've said you didn't turn it more than 1 rotation, I'd be pretty certain you wouldn't notice a change that small by hand, maybe while riding...

Did you by chance happen to try to turn the inner bushing my hand after you installed it with your socket ? My guess would be that bearing, or something else is binding. Here's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.. I'd remove the nut/bolt from the clevis of the shock, then by hand lower the rear wheel/raise the rear wheel to check for any binding. Move it through it's motion and see if it feels tight/rough.

Then I'd remove the nut/bolt from the swingarm - the one closest to the rear wheel. That should allow the linkage to swing down and away from the bike. See how the dogbones move in their mount, then check the bearing in the bottom of the shock.

I'm no expert... but that's where I'd start..

• Yamiryder

Posted March 08, 2012 - 04:43 PM

I didn't check the bearing before i put it in...i don't know why, but that's what i'm thinking my problem is. And yes, the rear end was fine before i did this, sorry i didn't specify that. Thanks for the advice. all that you said makes sense and i'l give it a try when i get the time. :bonk:

• crf450319

Posted March 09, 2012 - 07:16 AM

I didn't check the bearing before i put it in...i don't know why, but that's what i'm thinking my problem is. And yes, the rear end was fine before i did this, sorry i didn't specify that. Thanks for the advice. all that you said makes sense and i'l give it a try when i get the time. :bonk:

I'm in the same boat... Can't figure out why I do stuff/don't do stuff half the time either ! Keep us posted as to what you find when you have time to look at it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2012 - 09:24 AM

I'm in the same boat... Can't figure out why I do stuff/don't do stuff half the time either !

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that indicates that you're probably human. Most likely.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that indicates that you're probably human. Most likely.

On the flip side, I'm always pleased as punch when I figure something out sooner than I would've expected... :bonk:

• Yamiryder

Posted March 09, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Well, i checked the swingarm and linkage today. Everything seems to move properly with no binding. My lower shock bearing does seem to be a bit tight, but the bushing still turns while it is in there, and i just can't see this causing my suspension to be so stiff. Could it be time to rebuild my shock? I'm kinda leaning towards the bearing being the problem, but i'm still not sure.

• yz450fcranker

Posted March 13, 2012 - 01:05 PM

install the bearing in correctly use good tools and check your suspension while in there it should move a little

• Yamiryder

Posted March 13, 2012 - 05:08 PM

install the bearing in correctly use good tools and check your suspension while in there it should move a little

The rest of the suspension is all good. I just had it out and greased it all...and this is probably a stupid question but what are the "correct" tools for suspension bearings?

• yz450fcranker

Posted March 15, 2012 - 03:40 PM

something more than hammer and socket use a clamp and a bearing tool

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.