8" TrailTech mesh grille

5 replies to this topic
  • Signman606

Posted March 07, 2012 - 06:54 AM

[IMG]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o614/signman606/TrailTechEdgelights010.jpgI think I finally got it, thanks mehoff for all the help. So, I've been a member for several years and can't say enough about how cool this forum is and it's members. Everyone is so helpful and full of valuable information. I recently got a new light and searched for a cover solution and saw a couple that were very creative, but not quite what I wanted so I decided to try something different. I'm not a welder so I had to make 3 different jigs on our CNC router at work to accomplish this. 1st. I made a circle to bend the 1/4" steel rod, 2nd. routed slots for the tabs to lay in so the ring could be placed over the top and welded, 3rd. I cut 1-1/2" wood blocks that I screwed to a piece of plywood that landed to the outside of the circle and exactly where the tabs were. Placed the ring/tab unit on top with tabs up. Next I drilled a hole directly in the middle, placed my 12"x12" wire mesh piece over the top and placed a rounded piece of wood with a hole in the middle over that. Inserted a screw thru the wood, thru the mesh, and into the hole drilled in the plywood base. As I screwed down it drew the mesh with it and I could periodically look to see how much bulge I was getting. Once happy with that, took back to welder. Snipped off excess, did a little grinding and spray painted 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of "Bumper Chrome" paint. Not sure if this interests anyone, but it was a fun project and was pretty easy. Total cost was $75. If you knew how to weld it would only be about $15.

Again, thanks to all for such an interesting and fun forum.......................

WaynePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image[/img]testing

• gst95dsm

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:27 AM

That came out nice! I keep going back and forth on getting that light...

• buddoggin

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:09 AM

Nice looking bike!!!

• Jobistober

Posted March 07, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sweet ride! What part of Oregon you in? 2 weeks ago I was in the Bend area visiting family and doing some riding in the Millican Valley. Good times :bonk:

• Signman606

Posted March 07, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the great comments, like I said, it was one of the more fun things I've tackled on that bike. Yes, I live in Bend and there are a lot of places to ride here. Can't imagine not having those choices.................

w.

• underbike

Posted March 08, 2012 - 04:54 AM

Wayne Posted Image [/img]testing

You have really made a great looking DRZ! Very light and functional looking, not to mention the excellent graphics!

Edited by underbike, March 08, 2012 - 04:54 AM.

Related Content

Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 13 reviews
  • Last review by Sikz
  • On September 13, 2014
Forums
Photo

Looking at a drz400s and dr650se by lpfm1990

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 5 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  65 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.