unknown mods to 03 wr450

7 replies to this topic
  • SEDUCE

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:52 PM

hey guys i just brought a 03 wr450 and i dont know if any mods have been done to it
i know it has a staintune exhuast but that is all i know.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me all these free odand how can i tell if they have been done.
I done a search but could not find anyone that was asking how to do a 03 model grey wire mod but found people saying it had been done on there bike so it obviously can be done to a 03 model.

What else is there other than the grey wire mode?

thanks guys

• 1trackmind

Posted March 07, 2012 - 02:33 PM

I have an 03. I don't know what the difference would be between models from the US and the Australian model. The grey wire, "Snorkel" removed from the air box, JD jetting, and the exhaust tip changed to a gytr tip. I also did the starter upgrade. I can't think of any other of the free mods that needed done to the 03.

When I get a chance I'll take a look to see exactly where the grey wire was cut as I can't seem to remeber right of the top of my head.

• SEDUCE

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:37 PM

I have an 03. I don't know what the difference would be between models from the US and the Australian model. The grey wire, "Snorkel" removed from the air box, JD jetting, and the exhaust tip changed to a gytr tip. I also did the starter upgrade. I can't think of any other of the free mods that needed done to the 03.

When I get a chance I'll take a look to see exactly where the grey wire was cut as I can't seem to remeber right of the top of my head.

Thanks mate
I got told it had just been jetted but i am not sure if it has.
Whats the starter upgrade mate?

• 1trackmind

Posted March 08, 2012 - 07:44 AM

The starter upgrade is replacing the a gear in between the starter drive and the flywheel with 04 parts. In 03 the gear was a solid gear. Sometimes while the starter was engaged the motor would "kick back". This kick back would at times shear the woodruff key. In 04 Yamaha redesigned the gear to absorb the "kick back".

If you look at the left side of the motor, at the starter dive housing you will see a round cover about 3" (8 cm) in diameter. If the mod has not been done the cover is very flat. If the mod has been done the cove is convex.

As far as your jetting goes I used the JD jetting kit. Verify the snorkel has been removed, the exhaust opened up, and the grey wire has been cut. Do your jetting and ride her like you stole her. Also, change the throttle stop screw to a YZ or cut yours down.

I still haven't had a chance to look for the location of the grey wire yet. It seems like it is under the seat, but I'm not sure.

Edited by 1trackmind, March 08, 2012 - 08:05 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SEDUCE

Posted March 09, 2012 - 04:36 AM

The starter upgrade is replacing the a gear in between the starter drive and the flywheel with 04 parts. In 03 the gear was a solid gear. Sometimes while the starter was engaged the motor would "kick back". This kick back would at times shear the woodruff key. In 04 Yamaha redesigned the gear to absorb the "kick back".

If you look at the left side of the motor, at the starter dive housing you will see a round cover about 3" (8 cm) in diameter. If the mod has not been done the cover is very flat. If the mod has been done the cove is convex.

As far as your jetting goes I used the JD jetting kit. Verify the snorkel has been removed, the exhaust opened up, and the grey wire has been cut. Do your jetting and ride her like you stole her. Also, change the throttle stop screw to a YZ or cut yours down.

I still haven't had a chance to look for the location of the grey wire yet. It seems like it is under the seat, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for that i will have to have a look and see if the starter has been done as i have just spent $600 on all new kick start assembly and cover as it kick backed and smashed the whole lot.
So do you replace the whole starter or just the gear?

Also what are the snorkel mods and throttle stop screw do u have a page i can look at or rear about these or how to tell if they done?
Thanks

• - Jake -

Posted March 09, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for that i will have to have a look and see if the starter has been done as i have just spent $600 on all new kick start assembly and cover as it kick backed and smashed the whole lot.

Also what are the snorkel mods and throttle stop screw do u have a page i can look at or rear about these or how to tell if they done?
Thanks

Hi mate,
Which cover did you mean? My 03 backfired one day and cracked the Left Hand engine cover. Cost a bloody fortune to replace but I replaced it with a 04 one, so at least it won't happen again. I'm hoping you didnt just replace you LH engine side cover with another 2003?

Also, AFAIK, our UK/Aus model WR450Fs don't have a grey wire that needs cutting.

Cheers

• SEDUCE

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi mate,
Which cover did you mean? My 03 backfired one day and cracked the Left Hand engine cover. Cost a bloody fortune to replace but I replaced it with a 04 one, so at least it won't happen again. I'm hoping you didnt just replace you LH engine side cover with another 2003?

Also, AFAIK, our UK/Aus model WR450Fs don't have a grey wire that needs cutting.

Cheers

Hey mate No mine snapped the kick start shaft assembly and also the right hand engine case and also took a very slight bit off the inner case(engine case)
I brought the yfz450 parts as i got told off of this site by a awesome "2grimjim" and a 09 model outter case.
I am about to bond the inner case together as no one will weld it they want me to strip the motor but i wont.

so the Australian Wr450's dont have the grey wire is that what u were saying?

• 1trackmind

Posted March 09, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks

If you look on this sight (Thumper talk) parts store, shop OEM, put in that you are looking for 04 wr450f part, it will give you the exploded view if the various parts on the bike. Select "Crankcase Cove 1" from the drop down menu, look at part #15 on the exploded view. That is the cover that is different from the 03, although it looks the same on the drawing it is a different cover and part number. Now if you select "Starter clutch" from the drop down menu you will see #1 which is called "DAMPER ASSY" on the 04, but is called "GEAR, IDLER 1" on the 03. The starter motor is not changed, it's just the gears, cover, and washers? that change. It's been a long time since I replaced mine so I can't remeber. It use to be in a sticky under either "Performance index" or "WR FAQs" at the top of this forum.

The snorkel is in the top of your air box under the seat. it restricts (in the US) the air passage into the air box. Take your seat off and look at the top of the air box, behind the battery. If it has two small square holes, remove them. Let that sucker breath. I took a dremel tool to the top of the air box to open it just a touch more, not too much.

The throttle stop is in the right side of your carb, inside a cover. It restricts the cam that the throttle cable pulls. It doesn't allow the carb to open up all the way. The YZ has a shorter screw thus letting the cables pull the cam further and opening up the carb...MORE POWER! Love it.

The grey wire (US models) is located under the tank, right side, just behind the radiator. Atleast that is where they clipped mine. The tank will need to be removed to get to it.

Edited by 1trackmind, March 09, 2012 - 06:00 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.