Will I be disappointed with an X?

28 replies to this topic
  • jlmotox

Posted March 06, 2012 - 04:32 PM

For you guys that have a CRF450X my question is will it be enough for me? will I be disappointed?

Here is why I am asking....I have been riding for almost 30 years (i'm 34 now) been on 2 strokes all of my life, currently I am riding a 1997 CR250R and I have had it since 2000 and it has never broken down on me, it's always kept me happy with the power, weight, and handling. I love my bike but I REALLY want a new bike...I probably will keep my old CR even if I never ride it again just because its a great bike and I can....
I was just at the local dealership and a 2012 CRF450X caught my eye, but I have never rode one and I am worried that it will be too tame and heavy for me....I was there to look at a 450R and the X caught my attention...I mostly ride desert and mountain trails and maybe once a year I will go to the track...

do I get the X or R???? really wish it was like a car dealer and I could test ride both, that would make my choice easy!

I would really like to hear from anyone that has bought an X after riding 2 strokes forever and what you think...

• crfxer

Posted March 06, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Keep the 250 and buy the X. It definitely is heavier, but the power is there, to be opened up. I only ride my smoker in the tight singletrack. The X can do it all.

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted March 06, 2012 - 06:31 PM

I would say you will HATE IT. It is everything the CR isn't.

You should look at a 2008 CRF450R, the best year of the R models.

• baja184

Posted March 06, 2012 - 07:08 PM

It all depends on what you are looking for. I agree with Krannie, if you want something similiar to your cr250 you wont like it.

In my experience I used to ride 2 strokes back in the day (98 cr250 and 00 cr250) and swore i would never get a four stroke. Then i think in 03 all of my buddies got crf 450r's and when we went out to the dunes they would smoke me. So i bought a 03 crf 450r. I loved that bike and thought it was the best thing ever. After years went by and i wasnt riding track, dunes, and just jumping, one of my buddies convinced me to get a x. I bought a 08 450x. Now I ride open desert, trails, and baja. The x is by far the best bike for that. I couldnt believe the difference between my r and x. The first time i rode one and then switched to the other it was incredible, the difference was huge. I dont know how i rode my r at all in open desert. So i sold it.

The one thing i can definately ding the x on is its a heavy, slow, dog bone stock. I did alot of the mods that everyone talks about on here before i even rode my x. (r cam, pink wire, smog block off, full exhaust, stabilizer, etc) That definately put some power back in the bike. Now i have a ported r head, an r carb, along with tons more stuff, and the bike is a fire breather. Its still heavy but that makes it better in open desert and trails in my opinion. I wouldnt take it too the track, or the dunes, or do any big jumps on it, but im old and not into that anymore.

Just my opinion.

• papawhiskey1

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:46 PM

If you only go to the track once or twice a year you will love the 450x. If you have doubts , try a riding buddies 450x for a week or two. Weight and turn in on the track will take some getting used to, but the tight trail payoff is worth it(IMHO).

• papawhiskey1

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:47 PM

P.S. I rode lots of two strokes, and love my 450x.

• NEKOOHC

Posted March 06, 2012 - 11:42 PM

all you need is a different attitude

being prepared to dial in the 450X to suit you

• YZEtc

Posted March 07, 2012 - 03:48 AM

Compared to a CR-250R, a CRF-450X will feel heavier while manovering the bike, but on the other hand, the CRF will have a bunch of low-end torque that is quite handy.

The CRF-450X front brake is a bit on the weak side, in my opinion.

When you get down to the nitty-gritty, it's the classic case of more CCs and more weight and mass vs. less CCs and less weight and mass.

• baja184

Posted March 07, 2012 - 06:24 AM

The CRF-450X front brake is a bit on the weak side, in my opinion.

Oversized brake rotor, steel braided brake line, and a R master cylinder will change that!

• Jim Dettman

Posted March 07, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Oversized brake rotor, steel braided brake line, and a R master cylinder will change that!

Not trying to be critical here, but it always amazes me how many people buy a bike, then make a change to virtually every aspect of it (motor, brakes, suspension, etc) outside of the frame to try and make it into something else.

Why not just buy an r?

Jim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baja184

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Specifically for the tranny, the frame, the e start, 18" rear, and electrical for a light.

With your reasoning and thinking, i guess, you didnt change the jetting, open up the airbox, take off the smog block off, change out the pipe, or put on a stabilizer.
I guess all bikes are perfect when they come off the showroom floor from the dealership.

Here are a few links of other guys that should have bought a "r".

http://powersports.h...c080a4a0dd.aspx

http://www.dirtrider...er/viewall.html

http://www.dirtbikem...7DC33F273581EC2

• BEN HONDA RACER

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:34 AM

I like the 450X low end grunt and the E-start is awesome, but the weight is horrible. Compared to my CRF250R, i feel like i am driving a bus when i get into the tight stuff.

Unfortunatly the X is a must in California. If you dont need the red sticker or not stuck with wanting a E-start i would say go with the R models.

• Jim Dettman

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:50 AM

Specifically for the tranny, the frame, the e start, 18" rear, and electrical for a light.

With your reasoning and thinking, i guess, you didnt change the jetting, open up the airbox, take off the smog block off, change out the pipe, or put on a stabilizer.
I guess all bikes are perfect when they come off the showroom floor from the dealership.

No, jetting has been changed, airbox opened, and smog pump blocked off. I would consider that very normal stuff and something you would do with any bike. But that's as far as I've gone. I have not changed out the pipe or removed the baffle and I haven't bothered with a stabilizer.

Obviosuly no bike is perfect off the show room floor as we all ride differently, in different conditions, and are different sizes. But as I said, it amazes me how many people take an X and try to change it into an R.

There was one post not too long ago asking for people to buy in to a production run of having special gears made for 4th and 5th because the poster wanted a closer gear ratio and was looking to replace them.

To me, when you get to the point of mkaing fundamental modifications, you have to wonder if you would not be a head of the game by buying something else.

Jim.

• baja184

Posted March 07, 2012 - 10:43 AM

Here is another link for you Jim -
http://www.crf450x.n...-modifications/

Read the service bulletin from Honda.

Edited by baja184, March 07, 2012 - 10:54 AM.

• jlmotox

Posted March 07, 2012 - 04:31 PM

thanks for all of the replies!

Well being in California the green sticker is kinda of a concern for me...which the X has and the R dose not...stupid EPA! still have never heard of anyone getting busted for riding a red sticker in green season but that is a whole other topic...

For me...I like the X for:

Green sticker
electric start
more trail friendly
head light for night runs...never have done one but sounds like fun...

I don't like (I think)

weight...269lbs claimed...
power compared to a "R" less???

I was at the dealer and sat on both the X and the R bikes and they both feel sweet compared to my 97' CR...I couldn't really feel the weight difference, maybe a little but it's too hard to tell on the showroom floor...

As far a power...I don't mind jetting, pipe, smog block, if that is what it takes to bring it close to the R but if I have to change the motor internals (head,piston, ect...) to get it there that is something I won't do...I'll just get a R.
With that said... how close power wise is a 450x with jetting,pipe, and smog to a 450r?

Really wish I could ride one so I know what I am getting...no one I know has one...I have rode a few "R" bikes and I know what to expect with one of them...

I hate decisions like this!!! arrrgh!

thanks again for your replies!

• baja184

Posted March 07, 2012 - 04:47 PM

As far a power...I don't mind jetting, pipe, smog block, if that is what it takes to bring it close to the R but if I have to change the motor internals (head,piston, ect...) to get it there that is something I won't do...I'll just get a R.
With that said... how close power wise is a 450x with jetting,pipe, and smog to a 450r?

Not even close!
You would for sure need a "r" cam.

Edited by baja184, March 07, 2012 - 04:51 PM.

• Sheldon747

Posted March 07, 2012 - 06:06 PM

It all depends on what you are looking for. I agree with Krannie, if you want something similiar to your cr250 you wont like it.

In my experience I used to ride 2 strokes back in the day (98 cr250 and 00 cr250) and swore i would never get a four stroke. Then i think in 03 all of my buddies got crf 450r's and when we went out to the dunes they would smoke me. So i bought a 03 crf 450r. I loved that bike and thought it was the best thing ever. After years went by and i wasnt riding track, dunes, and just jumping, one of my buddies convinced me to get a x. I bought a 08 450x. Now I ride open desert, trails, and baja. The x is by far the best bike for that. I couldnt believe the difference between my r and x. The first time i rode one and then switched to the other it was incredible, the difference was huge. I dont know how i rode my r at all in open desert. So i sold it.

The one thing i can definately ding the x on is its a heavy, slow, dog bone stock. I did alot of the mods that everyone talks about on here before i even rode my x. (r cam, pink wire, smog block off, full exhaust, stabilizer, etc) That definately put some power back in the bike. Now i have a ported r head, an r carb, along with tons more stuff, and the bike is a fire breather. Its still heavy but that makes it better in open desert and trails in my opinion. I wouldnt take it too the track, or the dunes, or do any big jumps on it, but im old and not into that anymore.

Just my opinion.

Ha Ha! If you found a good hit you would still launch that bike, You're not that old :bonk:

• thecirque

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Not trying to be critical here, but it always amazes me how many people buy a bike, then make a change to virtually every aspect of it (motor, brakes, suspension, etc) outside of the frame to try and make it into something else.

Why not just buy an r?

Jim.

PERSPECTIVE!! I've said it before... Go find an XR650R and take it down any whoop trail or dune run, then climb back on the X. Youll love it

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted March 08, 2012 - 06:08 AM

thanks for all of the replies!

Well being in California the green sticker is kinda of a concern for me...which the X has and the R dose not...stupid EPA! still have never heard of anyone getting busted for riding a red sticker in green season but that is a whole other topic...

For me...I like the X for:

Green sticker
electric start
more trail friendly
head light for night runs...never have done one but sounds like fun...

I don't like (I think)

weight...269lbs claimed...
power compared to a "R" less???

I was at the dealer and sat on both the X and the R bikes and they both feel sweet compared to my 97' CR...I couldn't really feel the weight difference, maybe a little but it's too hard to tell on the showroom floor...

THE R IS MUCH QUICKER REVING, MORE HP (54 VS 45 STOCK) AND 35 LBS LIGHTER. BUT THE X CAN BE MADE MUCH MORE POWERFUL WITH A SIMPLE UN-CORKING, SLIP ON PIPE, JETTING, AND AN R CAM (WHICH IS A ONE HOUR JOB). NOW YOU GET UP TO ABOUT 51 HP.

BUT THE POWER ON THE X, ONCE SET UP IS "BETTER" THAN THE R, CAUSE OF HOW IT IS DELIVERED: SMOOTH, STABLE, MASSIVE BOTTOM END WITH A SECONDARY POWERBAND THAT REALLY PULLS. PLUS, IT IS WIDE RATIO, SO YOU CAN FAN THE CLUTCH WAY LESS, AND GO OVER 55MPH. THE R SUSPENSION WILL HAVE TO BE RE-VALVED FOR TRAIL RIDING UNLESS YOU ARE AN A-CLASS DESERT RACER.

Really wish I could ride one so I know what I am getting...no one I know has one...I have rode a few "R" bikes and I know what to expect with one of them...

I hate decisions like this!!! arrrgh!

thanks again for your replies!

To make an X more 'R' like, but keep all of it's traits:

- R cam
- slip on
- jetting
- uncork airbox

To make an R more 'X' like:

- larger tank
- re-valve front and rear
- gear up (making 1st very tall) or add a rekluse

The bottom line is how you ride.

If you are a 'cut and thrust' rider that loves to smash anything that even looks like a berm, fan the clutch, and constantly be in the peak of the power band, the X will wear you out. It will do it, cause it handles amazing, but you will be doing it with a bag of cement straped to your chest.....

If you are now in CA, and like to ride where you want during the summer months (green sticker only), the X answers all the questions: no choice but to go X.

I don't know where you live, but if you would like to try out an X that has gone though a long succession of mods (many reversed or removed over time) including an '02 R cam and stage three porting, give me a PM.

Edited by Krannie, March 08, 2012 - 06:09 AM.

• slothinker

Posted March 08, 2012 - 01:31 PM

I came over to the 450X side straight off a 2000 CR250 and I'll never regret it. You'll have to adapt your riding style but after a few rides you should feel right at home on the X. I also don't think you'll be disappointed in the power considering you're used to a 15 year old CR250. I've done all the popular mods so far except cam and head - the power is great and very usable. Also you said you do most of your riding in the desert and mountain trails - perfect for the X. Green sticker, headlight, e-start....X,X,X.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Dual sport project by joe reed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Starting troubles by jprga

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

450X Graphic Kits by OwenDennis

• 19 replies
Forums
Photo

One last bike for the rest if your life? by matty86suk

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

crf450x or crf250x by Ahner21

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.