Bottom End Flush

6 replies to this topic
  • ca_101

Posted March 06, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hey guys. I'm rebuilding an '06 450 engine for my neighbor. The front/exhaust side cam chain guide/slipper has chunked out pretty good. I found a good amount of the rubber sitting in the flywheel actually.

I was thinking about pouring some kerosene down into the bottom end to flush out any other pieces down there. I have the entire top end, flywheel, and clutch assy. off right now, so it I have clear passages into the case.

My concern is floating rubber chunks or debris up into areas they may get caught in and do damage. Possibly lodging in a bearing or oil passage. I'm not going to fill the thing, just enough to slosh around. I guess I just want some reassurance.

Btw, my advice to the owner was to split the cases and thoroughly clean, but he doesn't want the extra labor.

• woods-rider

Posted March 06, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Isn't kerosene a pretty strong solvent? Wouldn't that essentially wash away grease in the bearings it comes in contact with?

I may be completely wrong, but it seems a little sketchy to me. I think some sort of thin oil would be a better idea.

• ca_101

Posted March 06, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do use kerosene to clean all my chassis bearings, but what bottom end components are greased and not lubed by the motor oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2012 - 12:14 PM

...what bottom end components are greased and not lubed by the motor oil?

Not a single one of them. The kerosene will work OK, but I would mix in a little ATF (about one part in 4 or 5) to help float debris out. I would also say that you should open up both sides of the engine to do this, remove the oil pump, and back flush the sump screen through the oil pump cavity.

Check the oil filter immediately after the first short ride, and plan on splitting the cases if there's still junk in it.

• ca_101

Posted March 06, 2012 - 12:33 PM

I will use both the ATF and back flushing the oil pickup ideas. Thanks.

• poppa

Posted March 06, 2012 - 05:17 PM

kerosene is light oil. right?

• ca_101

Posted March 19, 2012 - 12:30 PM

The flush worked well. Although I didn't use the ATF. I had both sides of the engine open, clutch basket/hub removed, flywheel removed. I just poored the kerosene in on top of the crank. Sloshed it around and spun the crank. Then laid the engine, clutch side down, on my 2x4 engine box. Sprayed some contact cleaner in through the flywheel side and lightly blew some air thru there.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.