Picture of chain slider wear to swing arm

14 replies to this topic
  • tek_01

Posted March 06, 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hey fellas, just having a talk with my mate and he is convinced that there is no such thing as the chain slider eating away at the swingarm. As he (and another brain) put it, alloy is harder than plastic so it cant wear it away. Only way it wear is by running it without a chain slider.

Pictures tell 1000 words, anyone got any?

I know i done gray racers mod before it was too late. But he is convinced that the indent there is "meant to be there" as its a perfect size for the slider to sit in.

Also he and the other bloke said using the stainless on the alloy is a no no which in part is true, however it is insulated by the silicone so i dont see it as a problem

so show me what yas got

Edited by tek_01, March 06, 2012 - 02:57 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hey fellas, just having a talk with my mate and he is convinced that there is no such thing as the chain slider eating away at the swingarm. As he (and another brain) put it, alloy is harder than plastic so it cant wear it away.

...Also he and the other genius said using the stainless on the alloy is a no no which in part is true, however it is insulated by the silicone so i dont see it as a problem

Posted Image

If your friend was a big a brain as he thinks he is, he would know that it isn't the plastic that does it, it's sand and dirt that gets between. And stainless on aluminum is a total non-issue unless you ride at the beach all the time, in which case, you'll have a lot more than that to concern yourself with.

• tek_01

Posted March 06, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Thanks, exactly what i was after

Has anyone actually worn through the swingarm?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2012 - 02:47 PM

I know people who have had cracks develop as a result of the wear, yes.

• BBrown626

Posted March 06, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Anyone repaired one? Maybe clad weld the area to build it up before it breaks?

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:56 PM

I've heard guys say they did stuff like that to the really bad ones, but I ran the one in the picture as you see it from that point on for two years without a problem after cutting a wear plate to run under the slider.  I used 22 gauge stainless sheet from the scrap bin at a metals supply house:

solutionsm.jpg

I applied a high grade silicon sealer to the bottom of it to exclude grit, and bolted it in place with the original bolts to dry.

install1sm.jpg

After that, I replaced the stock slider with the stock bolts, and it sits in place the same way the factory intended, including the ability to shuffle fore and aft as it originally did.

Finished.jpg

• motodiver13

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:13 AM

I did wear a hole through the swing arm.about .250" wide and 2.5" long on the inside portion of the wear.

I found it cheaper to just buy a swingarm off ebay. It was about $90 and then did the mod Grey talked about.

I wasn't comfortable with welding as a repair.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted March 11, 2012 - 07:45 PM

the Yamaha slider is too loose. Mine wore threw too.

• tek_01

Posted March 11, 2012 - 11:24 PM

no pics?

• umu24013

Posted March 12, 2012 - 03:58 AM

like this one?
Posted Image

• davcon

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:31 AM

In addition to the topside, mine had considerable wear on the underside of the swingarm so did Grayracer's mod there too.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2012 - 10:44 AM

In addition to the topside, mine had considerable wear on the underside of the swingarm so did Grayracer's mod there too.

I didn't run into any abrasive wear under the swing arm on any of mine. That doesn't deny that you did, but I don't think it's as common or severe as the wear that occurs on top. Won't hurt to look for evidence of it, though, either.

What does happen, and often goes unnoticed until it gets bad, is that the chain will saw through the slider under the pivot area of the swing arm at about 6-7 o'clock to the pivot, looking from the left side. A wear plate would only serve as a "last line of defense" in that case, and wear to the slider in that spot is something to keep an eye on.

• silentZ

Posted March 13, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also picked up a spare swingarm on Ebay.

• poliisi2

Posted March 13, 2012 - 11:35 AM

May sound stupid but i stick few slice ducktape on slider and cut it shape of slider sharp knife. Never have any wearing damage after on
swingarm.

• Brrrap Brrraaaap

Posted October 31, 2015 - 01:29 PM

my swing arm has cracked from the shark cornner where guys befor me didnt maintain the rubber slider i knew this when i bought the bike got it a lot cheeper because of it

ive just been keeping an eye on it and some day ill get around to removeing the crack and TIG welding it up along with some pad build up to replace any other worn material should look good once filed down

im suprised no one has put a roller in place of the slider?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.