Hopefully, this is all you need, but let me know if I missed something:
- No experience riding motorcycles but taking licensing class in about 5 weeks
- Did a lot of BMX/ freestyle/ mountain of the peddle variety
- Driven manuals my whole life and undertand the concept of shifting/ clutch control
- Been athletic most of my life and tend to not shy from contact
- 5'9", 140lbs, early forties, was a strong kid for my size
- Guess what I'm saying, is I hope to pick it up quickly... haha
- Know nothing at all about mechanical stuff, but am fine with tools
- Live in the city with no garage - though I do have off street, uncovered parking for 2 cars - but shit would walk if left unattended -- I guess I could (and hope to) work on a bike for a couple hours at a time but cant really leave jobs unfinished overnight
- Virtually no other friends with bikes I can test ride
- Ride anywhere possible that is within riding distance and is off-road
- Track and fire road with eventual single track and more technical terrain sounds appealing
- Would love to eventually go on riding trips (drive and ride) and compete in some harescrambles/ comps if I get good enough
- Enduro/ HS/ Erzburg seem more appealing than MX
- Ride around the city: approx 5 mile round trip to work (possibly frequently), 10 mile trips (once/ twice a month), hop on to head 4 blocks for beer (to go)
- The off road is what is appealing, but I can see this being handy in the city as well
- Would need to ride at highway speed (65) at times
- Brand matters little
- Ideally less than $3000, but under $2000 would be great!
- Would be chained up outside (under roof though) when not in use
What bike to you think and why?
Do I start with a street legal dual sport or convert an enduro/ MX?
Thanks a TON for all the info and help!