oil leak from plug on cylinder head?

3 replies to this topic
  • jjonnyboyg

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Changed the oil and started my 03 wr450 today and did a test ride when smoke started pouring out. Oil is basically pouring out from a hole in the cylinder head right above the exhaust pipe. I went and checked my buddys bike and he has a plug inserted in this hole. Almost seems like a freeze plug or something. Its about 3/4 inch plug that goes into the cylinder head about 2 inches above where the exhaust pipe goes into the head. What is this plug, where do i get one, and what would case this to pop out. Thanks in advance.

• miweber929

Posted March 05, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Look about 5 posts above yours for a pinned sticky called decompression plug and follow the link. Also, do a search on here and see what's already been gone over about this.

Very common, very easy, pretty cheap fix.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zibbit u2

Posted March 05, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Look about 5 posts above yours for a pinned sticky called decompression plug and follow the link. Also, do a search on here and see what's already been gone over about this.

Very common, very easy, pretty cheap fix.

Mike

Mike the link doesn't work anymore.. but I am sure it's been covered multiple times. Now he has the name of the plug the search should be easier.

Sean-

• jjonnyboyg

Posted March 05, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thanks a lot. Link def doesn't work but I was able to find everything I needed now that I have the actual name. More common of a problem then I thought. I appreciate the help guys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.