Dented header....any fix?

6 replies to this topic
  • Ztard

Posted March 04, 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have a golfball sized dent in my 08 stock header pipe. Any way to fix it? heat? ice? Looking for options, or worst case a used stock header pipe. Thanks for any insight.

• DC_Excitement

Posted March 04, 2012 - 05:35 PM

you could try filling it with water and freezing it, it never worked for me but some people have had great luck. and i also herd of poeple opening there freezer door and finding a pipe that was split open. but at this point why not try the free thing first?

• Mark537

Posted March 05, 2012 - 06:02 AM

I have had some luck with the freezer and water. I dented my header on my 250f and fixed it that way a few times. Worked great for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ztard

Posted March 07, 2012 - 03:39 PM

well i searched the interweb, and tried freezing it twice....overnight each time.....no change.....bummer

• zibbit u2

Posted April 28, 2012 - 05:05 PM

the common missing step to this method is, freeze it over night as posted. Now run hot tap water over the damaged section taking care not to melt the frozen ends for a few minutes. You should be able to hear a little water sloshing if you tip the pipe side to side. Now, you put the pipe back into the freezer over night. Works like a charm on the factory seamless titanium pipes. Word of caution, DO NOT do this method to pipes with any welds on the pipe (FMF Megabomb, Powerbomb). Believe me, the expanding water will find the weakest link and push there.. unfortunately that means the welds will be the first to be attacked/split, not the dent.

Here's the proof it works;

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

And here's the proof you don't do this method to a Ti Megabomb header:
Posted Image

Edited by rs25, April 28, 2012 - 05:23 PM.

• Olds455guy

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Whats the best way to plug the ends of the pipe?

• zibbit u2

Posted April 28, 2012 - 06:25 PM

that's what the first night freeze is for... the water will make a natural plug once it freezes. Then by melting the centre, will make any expansion go towards the inside vs going outwards.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.