tank graphics installation

4 replies to this topic
  • mxcowboy

Posted August 18, 2001 - 01:47 PM

what is the best way to install tank graphics so they will stay on????? I know somebody has a good method to keep these baby's on........thanks

• Bill

Posted August 18, 2001 - 05:15 PM

I cleaned the tank with contact cleaner and then used windex to allow the graphics to slide around for placement. Then I used a chaepo bondo spreader from Auto Zone to get all the bubbles out and let them sit for a week before filling the tank with gas or riding the bike.

They've been on for a couple of months now and look great :)

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxcowboy

Posted August 18, 2001 - 07:14 PM

A WEEK, I don't know if I can wait a week to ride, I may have to wait until winter or my wife grounds me...haha..thanks for the tip

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 19, 2001 - 09:08 PM

I agree with Bill, especially on waiting a least a couple days after installing to gas/ride. Also surface prep is the most important thing in getting them to last.
Keep in mind that all graphics will start to come loose and bubble up eventually. Just clean and reglue the edges that come loose.
I always drain the gas and vent the tube straight up or remove the cap and cover the hole with one of those nylon hose footies I steal from my wife.

• bjscheel

Posted August 19, 2001 - 07:57 PM

I just clean the area and put them on. They will allways start to come off no matter how carefull you are putting them on. I use a 3m contact adheisive spray when they start to come off and just a little works. The last time mine started to come off was about six months ago. A little squirt and they been fine since.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.