2003 cr250 conversion

44 replies to this topic
  • honda424

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:36 AM

hey so currently i have put a lot of money into my 03 cr250. new plastics, all new bearings, new suspension seals ect. and now im considering doing a conversion. keep my 03 cr250 motor as a spare and drop a 2001 cr250 motor in it. i know i would need differnt swingarm collars, 01 headstay, 01 pipe, 01 cdi, 01 cooling system. so do guys think its worth it? im finding 01 motors on ebay for 500-1200 bucks. So i just want to know what you guys think about this conversion and do you think its worth it? 01 a big of enough difference?

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:49 AM

here is my story. iv riden a 96 CR250 for 3 years. love the bike. love the bottom end....love everything about it.
i was always a sceptic on the gen 3 bikes because of the stuff i huredabout them...like the no bottom end...well, 2 days ago a killer deal came by and i had to jump on it. picked up an 02 CR250 from a buddie. all the things said about these bikes, is all totle bullshit IMO. the bottom end isnt as thick in power as the 96-01 motors...but with a bit of tuning it will be just as good IMO.
i dont think the benifits are there really to do the swap. i bought mine to do the same..i was going to stick my 96 into it..but im more then happy with how the bike preformse...and the extra over rev is...well..nice.

• honda424

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:58 AM

does the 02 feel underpowered compared to your 96? or just a little smoother power delivery

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:26 AM

it deffinitly dosent have as much bottom end..but not that much less. not what a little tunning wont fix. i say a rad valve+gnarly pipe+get rid of that shitty TXM carb and ill be set.

i think the 02 has a bit better trackability then the 96. the hit feels about the same.

• honda424

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:34 AM

ya. my 03 has v force 3 reeds, jd jet kit, kehin carb, ported, shaved head.

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:36 AM

then i dont see any benifit t changing to an older motor really.

• honda424

Posted March 03, 2012 - 10:44 AM

alright. thanks for the info.. main thing is i need to decide if i want to keep my crf250r and get it all fixed up. or sell it and get somthing differnt. just been a lemon. full engine rebuild after i got it, then 10 hours later the rings went out, then valve seals went out, and then my right crank seal went out, then the right crank seal went out again, now much clutch is going out... and ive only put about 15 hours on the thing

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 11:09 AM

i think most CRF250's were lemmons. atleast the heads were.

sell it. no point in keeping a lemmon IMO. oorrr, get a 01 motor. and stick it intot he CRF frame...even better..get a 500 and stick it in.

• honda424

Posted March 03, 2012 - 11:12 AM

haha ya. i wouldnt mind doing that. but its a little more work then i wanted to do at the moment.. just more involved doing that. got to modify the frame and whatnot....

im either going to keep the crf, or get a 06 yz250 2 stroke or a 06 cr250 2 stroke.. or possibily a 450

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 11:23 AM

yz250's are nnicee. wicked bikes for the trails. and goodbikes on the track too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrBlahh

Posted March 03, 2012 - 11:37 AM

it deffinitly dosent have as much bottom end..but not that much less. not what a little tunning wont fix. i say a rad valve+gnarly pipe+get rid of that shitty TXM carb and ill be set.

i think the 02 has a bit better trackability then the 96. the hit feels about the same.

money can fix anything, or just buy a bike that has more bottom end to start with

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:05 PM

money can fix anything, or just buy a bike that has more bottom end to start with

we are in a sport that costs money any way you turn your head. if your a penny pincher. GTFO of the sport.

never said it didnt have bottom end. just not as much as my 96. it has plenty of bottom for the avrage joe i think. but with a few bills you can make it just as, if not better then the 96-01 motor im pretty sure.
his convertion would run alot more money then him just getting a few simple bolt-ons for his 03.

• hardhitwarrior

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:16 PM

hijack alert!!!!

why does 4stroke eat alot of clutch plates?

• MrBlahh

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:57 PM

we are in a sport that costs money any way you turn your head. if your a penny pincher. GTFO of the sport.

never said it didnt have bottom end. just not as much as my 96. it has plenty of bottom for the avrage joe i think. but with a few bills you can make it just as, if not better then the 96-01 motor im pretty sure.
his convertion would run alot more money then him just getting a few simple bolt-ons for his 03.

I'm a penny pincher, and I've been riding for almost 35 years, I'm not stopping anytime soon

I want a lot more bottom end than the 02+ have, with a few handfulls of dollars you can have the cases stuffed and a bottom end port job

• shrubitup

Posted March 03, 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm a penny pincher, and I've been riding for almost 35 years, I'm not stopping anytime soon

I want a lot more bottom end than the 02+ have, with a few handfulls of dollars you can have the cases stuffed and a bottom end port job

go do that then or as you say go find a bike with more bottom if you feel you need that much more. I don't think the 02+ motor is overly deficient in this power range. I mean a few clutch slippy slips and there's all the power one could need off road IMO. But that's just my opinion.

• MrBlahh

Posted March 03, 2012 - 02:30 PM

go do that then or as you say go find a bike with more bottom if you feel you need that much more. I don't think the 02+ motor is overly deficient in this power range. I mean a few clutch slippy slips and there's all the power one could need off road IMO. But that's just my opinion.

I bought a 2000 instead, and put a 96 cylinder on it

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 04:09 PM

yea. seems people are afriad to go over 3000 rpm....

• CamP

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I have a 95 and a 07 CR250. I don't think it requires a lot of money to make good low end power from a 02-07 CR250. I was able to get a lot of low end out of the 07 by simply milling the base of the cylinder .030". I got that done for free by a friend that's a machinist, but even if you are paying somebody, it's a $50 job. This makes the 07 feel close to the 95 on the bottom. Next on my list is a little epoxy on the rear transfer hooks and some recontouring of the intake boost port, similar to what Eric Gorr does. This will almost be a free mod that will only cost me $20 for gaskets. I think the 07 has the potential to kick the 95's butt.

Edited by CamP, March 03, 2012 - 09:23 PM.

• CamP

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:15 PM

FYI, the 92-96 CR250 engines are virtually identical and are all excellent engines. The 97-98 engines were a strike out for Honda. The 99-01 engines were good again. So I would say the 92-01 CR250 engines were excellent, with the exception of the 97-98 engines.

Edited by CamP, March 03, 2012 - 09:25 PM.

• choppertown

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:26 PM

FYI, the 92-96 CR250 engines are virtually identical and are all excellent engines. The 97-98 engines were a strike out for Honda. The 99-01 engines were good again. So I would say the 92-01 CR250 engines were excellent, with the exception of the 97-98 engines.

yea. i know that they are almost vertiuly the same. minor port changes is all isnt it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Anyone know what kind of lever this is by shatteredclutch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

How can I determine if a 2002 CR250 motor will fit, with slight mods, into a 1995 CR250 frame? by 5th gear tapped wide

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Last generation cr250s by hondaman331

• Hot  181 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.