Bench Pressing (9 mos) After Rotator Cuff Surgery?

9 replies to this topic
  • BLSJDS

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:57 AM

[color=#000000]For those that have had partially (or fully) torn rotator cuffs & the surgery to repair (and of course Dr. Mark):[/color]

[color=#000000]I am 41 y/o (male, 6'0", 183lbs). About 9 months ago, I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff (left shoulder). Recovery has been going well (slow, but steady progress) and with each month I get a greater ROM, with less & less pain at the outer ranges. I've even built up some rotator cuff strength, and can actually sleep on my left side without pain - amazing.[/color]

[color=#000000]I've been going to the gym for the past two months, focusing mainly on core strength exercises: pull downs & rows for back, squats & lunges for legs, sit-ups, and lighter / higher repetition cable press exercises for shoulders (seated cable press) and chest (seated cable flys). I've also been riding the stationary bike 4 times a week. So far, so good - no issues.[/color]

[color=#000000]I would like to work my chest and shoulders a little more, but certainly don't want to risk re-injury. Should I stay away from the barbell bench press / barbell shoulder press forever or can I start to incorporate those (lightly) into my routine?[/color]

[color=#000000]If I should stay away, what exercises do you recommend for safe chest and shoulder development?[/color]

[color=#000000]Thanks![/color]
[color=#000000]Dan[/color]

Edited by BLSJDS, March 02, 2012 - 07:59 AM.

• crash money

Posted March 02, 2012 - 08:12 AM

U r doin way better than I did when I was 17 I completely blew out ny left while. That birch still hurts and I am 23 . I am not a doc but good luck and heal up quickly best of luxk

• BLSJDS

Posted March 02, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks crash! I think I originally tore it when I was 23, unloading trucks in a warehouse. It was never right since, and as I got older, the pain when working out only got worse, to the point where I had to do something about it.

• somethingnuw

Posted March 02, 2012 - 09:00 AM

although I never tore mine... my brother who played college football (now deceased nothing to do with the shoulder) went back to weights hard... he said after his shoulder surgery he learned proper form... I alway remember him saying how now after the surgery he would keep his elbows in along his chest not pop his elbows out while doing chest... it almost felt more like a wide tricep press... anyhow... helped him...said he got stronger after with better results... not saying your doing anything wrong... it was just what he did... hope it helps you...

• BLSJDS

Posted March 02, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Definitely helps - thanks. I think two KEY things are maintaining proper form & continuing to strengthen the rotator cuff. My form was always decent until I decided to lift more than I should have, but I never paid much attention to specific rotator cuff strengthening exercises.

• highmarker

Posted March 02, 2012 - 09:24 AM

Use dumbells vs bar for a period and not too much weight. what your after is good range of motion, flexibility, and muscle balance. Strength will come later

• BLSJDS

Posted March 02, 2012 - 12:02 PM

And FWIW, my orthopedist said it is ok for me to start bench pressing again. I told him I'd call him in a few weeks to let him know how it was going or to schedule another surgery - ha ha :bonk:

• rm250o

Posted March 02, 2012 - 01:26 PM

I tore my rotator cuff and labrum a few years ago 18 now took a few moths off of weights did physical therapy ,not wanting to go the surgery route. Now i'm 6'1" 205 was working out a lot before, and around 4-6 days a week now. I still have pains from it, hasn't gone away it cracks at heavy weight and just about any workout I do that isolates my right shoulder.

• Towelie

Posted March 04, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I am 11 months post op the same except I had one rotator completely pop when I dislocated it, it was already a 75% tear I was putting the surgery off for, then tore another one, labrum needed to be tightened, she said I had more scar tissue than anyone she has year, years of abuse to the shoulder. Start light, I I have been doing a lot of incline bench with dumbbells and it still not 100%, but it is much better but it is a long recovery, I started to false carpal symptoms when I started working my stretch so stretch your pecks really good. Let me know how military press works for you, I can only do 15 with my right, trying to get back up to the 25'ers at least.

• BLSJDS

Posted March 06, 2012 - 10:00 AM

I am 11 months post op the same except I had one rotator completely pop when I dislocated it, it was already a 75% tear I was putting the surgery off for, then tore another one, labrum needed to be tightened, she said I had more scar tissue than anyone she has year, years of abuse to the shoulder. Start light, I I have been doing a lot of incline bench with dumbbells and it still not 100%, but it is much better but it is a long recovery, I started to false carpal symptoms when I started working my stretch so stretch your pecks really good. Let me know how military press works for you, I can only do 15 with my right, trying to get back up to the 25'ers at least.

I started VERY light this past weekend. I warmed up, stretched a bit, and then benched a whopping 95 lbs - ha ha. I did some light incline benching as well (65 lbs) and my shoulder actually felt normal during & after. Funny you mentioned that about the military press - I started out with 15 lb dumbells and while I didn't feel any shoulder pain, I could barely get 12 reps on the left side! Holy crap I'm weak. For my last set, I picked up the 20 lb dumbells and eeked out 10 reps. &%$#@!!! :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.