Stewart's YZ450F Rubber isolated frame mounts...

7 replies to this topic
  • geshields

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:36 PM

http://promototalk.c...tem/jgrs-rubber

Wonder if they change engine mount position also??

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:06 PM

Can't change the position with one of 4 mounts. It's not being done for engine vibration, as the top mount doesn't appear modified, and the rear mount would be pretty difficult to build an isolator into.

• FZ1426

Posted February 29, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I would think they meant to say it's to give the frame more flex to affect turning and/or other handling characteristics.

• BBrown626

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:04 PM

Any flexibility in the mounting of the motor would allow it to shift backward upon acceleration and forward once the throttle was let off, like your ould V-8 flopped to the side when you gave it the gas. That couldn't be good at all. More likely the single resilient mount provides for thermal expansion or flexing of the frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Any flexibility in the mounting of the motor would allow it to shift backward upon acceleration and forward once the throttle was let off, like your ould V-8 flopped to the side when you gave it the gas. That couldn't be good at all. More likely the single resilient mount provides for thermal expansion or flexing of the frame.

It didn't bother the Norton Commando, and the later Harley's with isolator engine mounts are OK. Every car and truck on the road has rubber engine mounts. Race cars tend not to use them, but only because of the reliability concerns related to their tearing/breaking under the extreme stress.

I do think you're correct that this looks to be just the one front mount that's been done this way, probably to add the flex of the curved part of the cradle into the steering head. Something I wouldn't recommend, but....

• stroker101

Posted March 02, 2012 - 06:41 PM

"probably to the flex of the curved part of the cradle into the steering head"

wouldn't the main frame have to flex also in order for the lower cradle to flex? i'm having a hard time visualizing that much flex in the frame with so much suspension travel.

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Don't get me started, OK. I have a kind of negative overall view of the whole idea that there's a benefit to actually encouraging the frame to flex. Doesn't seem to be well received.

And yes, your first assumption is correct.

• stroker101

Posted March 03, 2012 - 03:06 PM

"And yes, your first assumption is correct. "

it wasn't an assumption but a question,...to you

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.