Suspension

12 replies to this topic
  • BIGREDGOAT

Posted February 29, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Where is the best place to send my suspension, with out breaking my bank?

• rickallen124

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Talk to the guys you ride with and find a good local tuner. That's your best bet.

• BIGREDGOAT

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the tip man! And I have only heard one suggestion, and i was going to see about other places. Well does anyone know what Factory connection, or pro circuit charges to do full rebuild/revalve/respring??

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Your sig says you own an RM250. Is this question in regard to a YZF?

• BIGREDGOAT

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Damn, I guess I didn't save my Sig, but I have a 2001 yz426. Sorry about that guys. The Zuki is giving me some hell, so I'm setting my 426 up for MX/trails. Weigh in at about 210. I'm 6' tall and upper c class to mid b class rider.

• DC_Excitement

Posted March 01, 2012 - 04:36 AM

your looking at around $900 for a front and rear revalve and springs from factory connection

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Here, try this...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...tion suspension

and

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...cuit suspension

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 01, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Where is the best place to send my suspension, with out breaking my bank?

Isn't there a suspension guy local to you. Its possible that it will take a few different trips back and forth to get it perfect. Suspension is tricky stuff.

Over the past couple of years, I've changed bikes 5 times and have paid 600-1100 each time initially, plus about $100 or so when I have to take it back for adjustments, sometimes more.

Surprisingly, the cost hasn't really been the determination of what's better or worse. It happens to be the "guy". I've tried 5 different suspension companies, some more than once. Surprisingly, the best one was the cheapest, but he was the slowest The next best one was the most expensive.

Your ability to communicate exactly what you want and their ability/willingness to listen and implement will determine you happiness.

Is there a local suspension guy near you. You will want the support. You won't want your bike down for a few weeks while you are shipping your shock back and forth.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:23 AM

I've changed bikes 5 times and have paid 600-1100 each time initially, plus about $100 or so when I have to take it back for adjustments, sometimes more.

$6-700 should really cover it if you have to change springs, at least with the normal amount of parts involved. The first one or two adjustments should be no charge other than for shipping, and maybe a small charge, but certainly not $100. The '01 is a problematic fork, though, and even at their best, they aren't that good. If I wanted to put money into a 426, I'd work the original shock if it was in good condition, but I'd go for some later forks and start with those instead.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 01, 2012 - 10:30 AM

$6-700 should really cover it if you have to change springs, at least with the normal amount of parts involved. The first one or two adjustments should be no charge other than for shipping, and maybe a small charge, but certainly not $100. The '01 is a problematic fork, though, and even at their best, they aren't that good. If I wanted to put money into a 426, I'd work the original shock if it was in good condition, but I'd go for some later forks and start with those instead.

Some guys do charge a bit more, especially when they put in aftermarket components.

For a 210lb lard ass desert rider like myself, I need heavy springs as well as base and midvalve work to get the very firm yet plush setup that I like.

Dave @ smartperformance did his magic on my 01 yz250 a few years ago and it was incredible. I only needed to add some subtanks to it to get it to soften up on the small choppy stuff. I sure wish I lived closer to him. He is very reasonably priced and does good work, even on those old forks. I had considered upgrading the whole front end until he promised me that i would love it. I was not dissappointed. So it can be done. His prices were about what you said... 6-700.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Dave @ smartperformance did his magic on my 01 yz250 a few years ago and it was incredible. I only needed to add some subtanks to it to get it to soften up on the small choppy stuff. I sure wish I lived closer to him. He is very reasonably priced and does good work, even on those old forks. I had considered upgrading the whole front end until he promised me that i would love it. I was not dissappointed. So it can be done. His prices were about what you said... 6-700.

Dave is definitely the Go-To for the open bath KYB forks. Anything, actually, but those were an obsession of his when he first began working dirt bike suspension. Where others got to a point and gave up, he continued, and his work with them is seriously amazing. Most of what I know of suspension I learned from him. There are people who think along conventional lines, and those who think outside the box. Dave seems to me to be unaware that there even is a "box".

• poliisi2

Posted March 03, 2012 - 12:58 PM

I make myself for new settings FF and Rear shock. You can buy setting sheets for Kayaba kit suspension
after its easy make your own setting dont matter if you dont understand oil flow first times you work
suspension settings. Tools you can buy too to make all this 200-300usd cost for stuff + gas bottle.

After you can start doing own setting. Its not easy but when you understand oil flow will be
fun stuff to do and test after.

Sometimes you can find some good but sometimes it can be totally crap too.

Anyway im having fun to do it.

• BBrown626

Posted March 03, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Smart Performance. Best support. Great pricing.

Of course you could just learn to service them yourself. They are fairly easy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.