Chain Links

2 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted August 17, 2001 - 12:54 PM

Yo Fellow Thumpers;

Quick question on the chain. I saw a post just a week ago on how many links the stock chain has, answer was 116. Just bought an X-Ring chain, and immediately had the shop break it down to 116 links. My bike is still in the shop (2 weeks now), and haven't had a chance to put it on. I'm hoping I wasn't to hasty on re-sizing my chain. Is 116 links standard no matter what kind of chain you are putting on? Just a quick question.

Thanks,

Dodger

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted August 17, 2001 - 02:24 PM

Depends on the gearing, not the chain. I would hope that all chains have links of the same length otherwise each would need different sprockets.

This just in from the Worthless Post Dept.:
I have no idea how many links I have on my bike, but it is currently 14/47 so it may not apply to you anyway.

• TStates

Posted August 19, 2001 - 02:02 PM

[I just put on a new x-ring chain and used 116 links just like stock chain. I did however lower the front sprocket to 13, so I had to adjust a little slack out on my new chain. But what a combination, it rides the trails so much better. I rode in my first Hare scramble last week with that set-up. I do think I will go 2 more teeth on the rear though as it is still not perfect for riding the trails in North Carolina, good luck. Thane.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.