Which fork is closest?

5 replies to this topic
  • cjard

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Having bent the forks on my 03 WR, Ive found forks from a 98 WR400 and a 02 YZ426 in a local breaker's yard, but which fork is closer to the ones I've bent? Dimension-wise they are the same, but I don't know about the internal valving etc

Cheers

• gsa102

Posted March 01, 2012 - 09:28 AM

The wr forks would probably have more similar valving, but the yz would likely have "newer tech" parts. Depends on how you ride.

Faster/race = yz forks
Street/Trail = wr forks

• 2grimjim

Posted March 01, 2012 - 01:41 PM

All of the parts from either set of salvage forks will swap with your WR forks. There some small differences though.

What part is bent?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cjard

Posted March 01, 2012 - 04:17 PM

The chrome slider on the brake side. Stanchions are both fine.. I just couldnt quite be bothered to split the fork apart and fit another tube.. but if you reckon part 3 in the below pics is interchangeable between forks (and worth the hassle)...

Posted Image

• cjard

Posted March 01, 2012 - 04:20 PM

by stanchion I meant outer tube...

• 2grimjim

Posted March 01, 2012 - 06:15 PM

In that case, either one of the salvage forks will work. The '02 YZ will be identical to your '03 WR EXCEPT for the different spring rate and the shim stack on the base will be different. The mid valve might be different too (inside the cartridge).

The '98 WR fork is a little different inside from your '03 fork and the '02 YZ but the stanchion tube will still work.

You can just reuse your old cartridge and base valve in either one of the forks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.