CRF230 vs TTR230?

9 replies to this topic
  • craig3x

Posted February 28, 2012 - 07:27 PM

can anyone tell me the major differences here? Looking for a bike for the wife who is moving up from a CRF150. She wants it short so she can touch the ground and wants a good control feel (she likes her CRF150, but wants more power) there seem to be better deals on the TTR230's

• Tony477g

Posted February 28, 2012 - 07:30 PM

The one time i rode a tt230 it felt like a pig and felt like it had no power. Maybe the one i rode had a problem but it seriously was horrible

• craig3x

Posted February 28, 2012 - 07:33 PM

haha, well I imagine both would feel like a pig to any experienced rider. But this is for my wife. Have you ridden the CRF230? Did it feel better? If so, in what way?

• Tony477g

Posted February 29, 2012 - 05:40 AM

the last trail bike i rode was a crf250x and that was so much better than the ttr. If it was me i would look for a 250x

• Motoman45_00

Posted February 29, 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have honestly ridden both bikes...my mother had a 04 crf 230 and a friend on mine had a 06 ttr 230, I rode them back to back, the crf had alittle more power, felt better, turned better and had better brakes. The ttr by all means is not a bad bike, it just is not up to par with the crf. my .02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 150ron

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ive had a CRF150F, then moved up to the CRF230F, (then sold that and moved up to a yamaha 250), but theres a big difference between the CRF150F, and the CRF230F, the 230's seat is higher and the bike weighs more, has a lot more power tho, especially if you rejet and do all the cheap mods.

how tall is your wife?

• tomatolord

Posted March 01, 2012 - 05:20 AM

my son rode both and he picked the ttr because of color, he said he could not honestly tell the difference in riding them both for an hour.

He was moving up from a XR100, he is 14 but almost 6ft

now the ttr is list $500 less than the honda so it will be less expensive out there in the used market.

he is a trail rider but will get on the track with it.

after a month he loves it, however i think he would love the honda as well.

now my other son is 12 and he has also ridden the ttr but wants the honda because his outfit is red !

so we took the $500 we saved and put on new jets and gonna to get a new muffler and then a new rear tire....

• 2strokes4me

Posted March 07, 2012 - 04:29 PM

The Honda engine has a longer stroke to achieve its 223cc's. That equates to more low-end grunt for trails and hill climbing. The TTR tries to compensate for this difference by putting a lower 1st gear in the transmission. If your wife is a small lady (like the son from the post above), she will notice little difference between the two, but for larger riders, the CRF is the better bike to get.

• 07ATKEnduro

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:27 PM

can anyone tell me the major differences here? Looking for a bike for the wife who is moving up from a CRF150. She wants it short so she can touch the ground and wants a good control feel (she likes her CRF150, but wants more power) there seem to be better deals on the TTR230's

The 230 is a nice trail bike and the crf and ttr are close to the same. If she wants more power and a light bike go 85 2t or 150r,

• jkr5

Posted March 27, 2012 - 12:46 AM

I have a similar dilema with upgrading my wife to the right bike. She has an 05 TTR125 and my dad had a TTR 230 that I borrowed, opened up the air intake, rejetted, put on FMF power core for and lowered with an ML2 lowering link dropping it within one inch of my wife's TTR125. She took the bike out and loved it. She says she is done with the 125. Now that my dad is asking for his bike back I'm trying to decide if I get her the TTR 230 or the Honda CRF 230. She loves the TTR 230 but hates the weight of the bike. She was able to take the next step up in trial riding with the increased suspension and hauled up a intermediate hill with woops no problem and came back smiling saying she is riding nothing smaller than a 230 from now on. Since she had a Yamaha she is pro Yamaha but has never riden the Honda. I have rode both. I notice the power difference between the bikes with bore and stroke differences. Kouba link also has a link that lowers the Honda an additional 1/2 inch over the ML2 link which would fit her perfect. Should I just buy the Honda and push a manufacturer change or buy the TTR since it is $400 cheaper with the factory rebate and let it be? I'm biased to the Honda because I feel it performs better but I ride a CRF 450X and KTM 200XC and focus on power but not necessarily ease of ride ability. My buddy that weighs 215lbs borrows bikes when available and rode both and also said the Honda performs better but he is an experienced rider. She is 5'3" 140 lbs Honda is 2lbs lighter per specs and has more after market availability

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.