06 YZ 450F Noise

6 replies to this topic
  • jahern059

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:04 PM

Heres the rundown. I bought a 06 YZ450 with a good amount of begginer time on the track and once (i was told) at the dunes. While at the dunes had a pretty good crash that bent the r/h side of the subfram. Shocks were blown and the bike started but backfired like no other. Keep in mind i did buy this bike for dirtcheap!!! So after looking into it, the cam chain had jumped a tooth from it being so stretched and the tensioner was shot. The clutch was toasted and the oil had never been changed from when it left the factory floor as well(felt and looked like grease with a whole lot of aluminum in it). After spending a decent amount of money, the bike starts and runs like a champ but still has the very loud knock????? Im a bit worried to take it out riding fearing its going to detonate on me, any ideas????? Im a desert rider and really dont like being stuck in the middle of nowere. Any help would be great, Thanks

• 2grimjim

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Did you replace the crank or piston?

• jahern059

Posted February 28, 2012 - 05:18 PM

Havent replaced either yet, just timing chain and tensioner

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2grimjim

Posted February 28, 2012 - 06:47 PM

So...I assume you didn't have the top end off? From your description of the condition of the bike when you bought it, it sounds like you may have a bad crank or a very worn out piston. The only way of knowing is to tear it apart and inspect. If the noise is that bad you definately don't want to ride it untill uou have found the source of the noise. Any riding in that that condition and you may end up with a broken piston or rod.

Edited by 2grimjim, February 28, 2012 - 06:48 PM.

• jahern059

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Heres the update. Tore it down and the cylinder is warped with the piston cocked at an angle that its lightly tapping the cylinder head, but no major gouging. I feel like a fool but again, picked it up for real cheap. Thinking of just moving forward and buying what I need and ill pretty much have a somewhat new bike.

• galligar

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM

big bore kit,check bottom first.

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:47 PM

The cylinder is not the cause. There's either a piston or ring problem allowing/encouraging an excessive rocking of the piston at TDC, or you have a dangerously loose big end bearing.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.