Used 2011 Quick Questions

7 replies to this topic
  • zook212

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Found a bike that seems to be in great condition, 32 hours on the bike. is there anything specific to the 2011 - previous KXs that should get a little extra look down or potentially inspected? before riding out with it i want to really look over the bike and im looking for some known problems or wear areas on the bike once they get some hours!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyGilmore

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hour meter verified? How do the ignition/ clutch covers look on the engine? Original sprockets and chain? Chain guide wear? Original tire? These will give you an idea of the hours it has. If possible, have him pull the valve cover and check the valve clearance. Should be with in spec (cant rememeber off the top of my head) if the bike wasnt abused.

• Slow250

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have just over 33 hours on mine and have gone through two rear tires, one chain/sprocket set (not including the stocker) and the ignition and clutch covers have looked like ass since the 2nd ride. They probably look about the same as they did at about 10 hours. I also have a TM designworks chain guide after the OEM one lasted about as long as the throw away chain that comes with them. The bike has about 8-9 races on it and more than 20 practice days on it. The point is I would definitely go with checking the valves ( .17-.22 mm exhaust and .10-.15 intake). As Happy said they should be in spec, but I disagree with him on the rest of the metrics.

Really you'll get the most insight by just seeing how the guy preps it. Is the chain properly tensioned without rust? Do all the pivot points work smooth? Does the clutch have a nice easy pull? Nice firm brake modulation? Is the inside of the airbox clean? IMHO if those checks are good, along with valves being in spec, the engine sounds "healthy" when running and the bike feels generally tight that's about all you can do without tearing it down in the seller's house. Hope it turns out well, they're awesome bikes!

Edited by Slow250, 28 February 2012 - 07:29 PM.

• stlavsa

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

Ive never heard of someone doing a valve check while looking at a used bike? Dont get me wrong im not saying its a good idea, im just saying opening up the motor on a bike thats not yours? I duno how good thats gonna go over.

• stlavsa

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

One easy check you can do when looking at a used bike is check to see if he has started the bike before you arrived. If the bike is all warmed up before you get there, that is a sign something could be wrong. You want the bike to be dead cold, and see how it easily it starts.

• HappyGilmore

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have just over 33 hours on mine and have gone through two rear tires, one chain/sprocket set (not including the stocker) and the ignition and clutch covers have looked like ass since the 2nd ride. They probably look about the same as they did at about 10 hours. I also have a TM designworks chain guide after the OEM one lasted about as long as the throw away chain that comes with them. The bike has about 8-9 races on it and more than 20 practice days on it. The point is I would definitely go with checking the valves ( .17-.22 mm exhaust and .10-.15 intake). As Happy said they should be in spec, but I disagree with him on the rest of the metrics.

Really you'll get the most insight by just seeing how the guy preps it. Is the chain properly tensioned without rust? Do all the pivot points work smooth? Does the clutch have a nice easy pull? Nice firm brake modulation? Is the inside of the airbox clean? IMHO if those checks are good, along with valves being in spec, the engine sounds "healthy" when running and the bike feels generally tight that's about all you can do without tearing it down in the seller's house. Hope it turns out well, they're awesome bikes!

I guess i was a little confusing on that. I didnt mean to state that all that stuff should be original. Just that it is all maintained properly and was replaced at the correct interval. Or if it is original and in good shape, then you know it was ridden easily. But yes 30hrs is alot to have anything original i listed.

• heindl440

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

30 hours is nothing. My buddy beat the shit out of his last to kx450s and rung 100 hours outa the stock pistons. He never even checked the valves.

• duhameister

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have over 100 hours on my 09 and the valves are still in spec and I'm on the OE piston. I run my bike in the sand dunes at WOT all the time, these bikes are bullet proof, just keep up on maintenance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Low compression/ Milky oil—HELP! by Chrisj0806

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • 14 replies
Forums
Photo

Airforks ! what do i need to know ? by fiveseven

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  109 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Texas dirtbike title transfer? by Marksman42

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Radiator Shrouds by Doc_Kelley_325

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.