Best way to do oil change?

25 replies to this topic
  • jcbikes

Posted August 29, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Gas,

My speedo does not calculate engine hours, so I just go by miles run. Since my bike is dualsported, it is run on both dirt (slower speeds) and on the road (easier faster speeds). I found that the oil seems to change color and feel differant after 600 miles or so. So I just change it with rotella t at 600 miles. Seems to work great. I am approaching 13,000 miles on the bike since I bought it used in 2009. Engine runs like new, doesn't burn oil and the valves (that I check every 6 months), have not needed an adjustment yet. Original piston and rings too! Not bad for a 2002wr426f.

• GASKICKER

Posted August 29, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Gas,

My speedo does not calculate engine hours, so I just go by miles run. Since my bike is dualsported, it is run on both dirt (slower speeds) and on the road (easier faster speeds). I found that the oil seems to change color and feel differant after 600 miles or so. So I just change it with rotella t at 600 miles. Seems to work great. I am approaching 13,000 miles on the bike since I bought it used in 2009. Engine runs like new, doesn't burn oil and the valves (that I check every 6 months), have not needed an adjustment yet. Original piston and rings too! Not bad for a 2002wr426f.

well, if its working....no sense in changing it. Im new to the game and my bike is only in the dirt; just did a 10.8 hr oil change. maybe i should extend it a little as I am sure I didnt ride it 150 miles and it wasnt MX miles either.

Edited by GASKICKER, August 29, 2013 - 04:19 PM.

• jcbikes

Posted August 29, 2013 - 03:45 PM

Gas,

sounds like a plan. just extend the hours a bit at a time and see how the oil looks when you change it. You will be able to tell a difference in the way it looks when it needs changed

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123devinzz1

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Every 500km for me

• JDLowrance

Posted August 30, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Wow.....

This is a high compression/horsepower racebike in enduro guise. If you ride the bike as intended (off-road and hard) and do not change the oil at the very least every 10 hours you are doing yourself and your bike a dis-service. If you do not have an hour meter get one. They are less than $30 and worth every penny and a liter of oil is cheap!

Personally I change my oil every 5 hours with a filter every other change. That's roughly every two off-road rides.

• vlxjim

Posted August 30, 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'm just tossing this out. I you have a 2012-2014 WR you can check the hours with the programer. I write the hours down on a label and stick on the inside of the air cleaner cover.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.