426 will not start

6 replies to this topic
  • bullitboy

Posted August 16, 2001 - 03:34 PM

I have had the bike one week and I have spent more time trying to start this thng that riding it. I followed the starting tips the dealer gave me to the letter. Still fouled plug. What can I do now that the bike seems flooded? i want to ride the bike, not stare at it. Please help

• MotoStyle

Posted August 16, 2001 - 08:06 PM

Make sure you have a new, fresh, properly gapped plug in your bike.

While cold: Pull the black choke button on the carb, bring the piston to TDC with the kickstarter, pull in the compression release and push the kickstarter just a smidge past TDC, let the kickstarter back up, hand off the compression release, HAND OFF the throttle. Now, give it a good kick. If it doesn't start, do this over again. Never, never give these beasts any throttle when trying to start them. Even while the bike is sitting in your garage all lonely, if you turn the throttle, you will be pumping fuel into your cylinder. These things will start without the use of the throttle, so best of luck. :)

• Boit

Posted August 17, 2001 - 06:38 AM

I've always found it helpful to turn the idle adjuster knob about one full turn clockwise before starting. I rarely even need to use the choke by doing this. My engine almost always starts on the second kick....sometimes on the first. As the engine warms up, the idle will gradually increase and then I begin turning the idle knob back out. I run my idle pretty low to take full advantage of the engine braking characteristics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • benny_d

Posted August 17, 2001 - 07:11 AM

I was just curious how many times the engine turns over per one kick (from top to bottom). Does any one know this? It seems like it turns over at least a few times.

• Marty400

Posted August 17, 2001 - 07:21 AM

If flooded, pull in compression release and kick the bike over 10-15 times with throttle wide open, then kick as normal. Works for me when bike is flooded.

• mor

Posted August 17, 2001 - 08:58 AM

my 426 always starts at the first or seconed kick, specialy when the engine is cold. my friend with a yz400 98 has the same prob. n i start the bike for him : close the feul knob, press the compression realese n hold it pressed and kick the bike several times. then open the feul knob and try the regular procedure

• Hick

Posted August 17, 2001 - 02:27 PM

benny_d,

It has to go at least twice or it wouldn't start. It's a four stroke, remember? :)

</sarcasm>

Seriously though, find TDC (compression), go just past that, and it is obviously coming back around to that point at the bottom of the kick stroke or it would NEVER start. 4 strokes = 2 revolutions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.