plug fouling

11 replies to this topic
  • wildair99

Posted August 15, 2001 - 04:35 AM

I have a 2001 YZ 426, its 4 weeks old now, i am having problems with plugs fouling out, they wont foul when riding, only when trying to crank it after a few days of sitting, the plug looks black and sooty when i pull it out, anyone have any suggestions???????

• nozzlejockey

Posted August 15, 2001 - 05:44 AM

Do a search on foul plugs/foul mouth and it should bring up more info than you will want. I had one of these bikes and yamaha knows about the problem,and get to your dealer where you bought it. At four weeks your warr. is about to expire!!
Good Luck

• eBayThumper

Posted August 15, 2001 - 06:37 AM

Two things come to mind...

One is the obvious...follow the drill when starting...touching the throttle is BAD.

Two is...when you're done riding...turn off the gas and let it die on its own. This is good for your carb and should ensure that you're not dumping gas on the plug at the last minute.

Otherwise...make that dealer pay...And I agree that you'd better get on it since the extensive 30 day warranty (bogus imho) is almost up.

good luck
J

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Rip the knobbies clean off :)
[/list]

• forloop

Posted August 15, 2001 - 08:07 AM

The above advice is great.

Mine had the same problem. I fixed it by moving the clip to the third position and running 158 main jet. I'm in Houston Texas.

I also run a 50/50 race fuel mix. This helps keep everything clean. BK suggested this. I have not fouled a plug in a long time.

Good Luck,

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• jpwr250f

Posted August 15, 2001 - 11:41 AM

if the plug is black and sooty, then the carb is too rich, and this will cause the fouled plug. So id advise leaning the carb out some

• Dodger

Posted August 15, 2001 - 01:07 PM

Sup,

I have been thinking the exact same thing on a fouled plug, black equals rich, and white equals lean. Especially since I came from riding a Kawasaki 2-smoke. I am also in the midst of a sever plug fouling epidemic, may be due to something besides jetting. But,CO Powersports here in Boulder are adiment that this is a lean mixture, denoting a miss-firing situation. Does anyone out there know for sure which it is.

Late

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jaybird67k

Posted August 15, 2001 - 04:59 PM

If it is only fouling on start up, then pull the header and look for a carbon build up in your ehaust port and in the header it self.
I had the same problem with a new 01 426 and jetting did not help, but after explaining my problem to BK(Tim Ferries engine mech)he said this is a classic example of carbon build up which holds moisture in the cylinder causing the plug to short out.
He suggested running race fuel, and since I did I have been on the same plug every since.

Jason
# 67

• wildair99

Posted August 16, 2001 - 04:18 AM

Ok, guys i have called my dealership, and they couldnt help, but they did tell me to go back to the manual and check to make sure that everything is in order when starting, i did this and this may be a problem that i am causing, now someone let me know on this, when i crank it i run the throttle up and down......(old 2 stroke habit) anyways the manual says not to race the engine because of the accerator pump, is this plug fouling my fault because i am racing the engine up and down on start ups?????? thanks all :)

• forloop

Posted August 16, 2001 - 04:30 AM

I am not positive what you are doing. But, the 01 426 does not needs any throttle to start it. It may need a little choke but that is it.

I always let my bike warm up a bit before putting the spurs to it. I just let it sit there and idle for about 30 seconds.

If you wick the throttle open when it is cold it can foul the plug.

Do a search on starting and see what you come up with.

Good Luck,

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• Merfman

Posted August 16, 2001 - 05:33 AM

Here's a little history and what I've learned WRT jetting
on the '01 (and 01 ONLY) jetting:

I got mine in December. It ran great on a fresh plug. Would
foul a plug the very next time I tried to start it. I went through
8 plugs in 8 cold weather rides. As the weather warmed
up, the problem went away. This would *seem* to imply that
I had a jetting problem but read on...

About 3 weeks ago I was in Apex Sports in Colorado Springs.
I spoke to Paul Zinke, on of my most trusted mechanic friends.
He stated that the only way they've been able to jet the '01
426's is to put each and every one on an EGA. He said
every one he's seen is different.

That's the sum of what I've experienced and what I've learned.
YMMV. I'm waiting for the cold weather to return to see if
my plug fouling returns.

Merf

• vmprz515

Posted August 24, 2001 - 05:00 PM

turn your idle up!

• Jim_H

Posted August 26, 2001 - 03:19 PM

To follow up/confirm what merfman said, I was having the same problems with plug fouling. It took about a month to get in, but Paul at Apex did a fantastic job on my '01, and like Merman said, he used a EGA, he said it took about 2 hours to do. I have had 5 good hard rides on mine since he worked on it and have not experienced any of my past plug fouling problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.