help compression

11 replies to this topic
  • bluesbiker

Posted February 23, 2012 - 11:39 AM

hi afyer my second recent rebuild new piston rings chain bearings etc etc i was driving along today road use approx 50 55 mph a sudden uh and the engine stopped pulled clutch in and free weeled safe to side of the road seems to have lost about 50% of its compression
trailered home and took the cam box cover off all 5 of the cam followers are moving up and down fine when kiked over any ideas pls

• bluesbiker

Posted February 23, 2012 - 11:41 AM

its like hard to find top dead cent for a good kick,,,this happened after i installed the piston but full comp came back after a few miles

• bluesbiker

Posted February 23, 2012 - 01:42 PM

some one must no it was running great till today ive done about 100 miles on the new engine no probs starting etc well stubborn but there 2nd 3rd kik

• johndeerekid

Posted February 23, 2012 - 09:17 PM

well are you sure you had enough oil? that's the first thing to check because lack of oil could seize her right up. another thing is i had the exact same thing happen to me, i was givin er and she lucked up out of nowhere, and wouldn't start for nothing. so i took it home and checked over the whole motor and everything was in spec and didnt change anything. so since it was all apart i took apart the carb and cleaned it up and blew out all the jets and put the carb back in and she started 3rd kick. there must have been a spec of dirt in the carb or something. all it takes is a tiny tiny tiny spec of dirt and the bike wont run. so i suggest cleaning the carb out and seeing if that makes a difference. -Wes

• mikeprosauceka

Posted February 23, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Did you check the decompression valve may be sticking

• cjard

Posted February 24, 2012 - 12:45 AM

what bike is this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluesbiker

Posted February 25, 2012 - 01:49 AM

thanks for the replys lads
johncerekid the carb????? my compression has all but gone could the carb affect this ..

mikeprosgula yes the decomp working fine i can use my fingers to engage disengage it

cjard its a 2000 wr 426

once again thanks for thr replys going to have a look in today and post another thread about valves there my concern i think i hope im wrong but fingers crossed eh

• bluesbiker

Posted February 25, 2012 - 01:59 AM

wes i just did an oil change the day before and added approx 1.5 litres of 10 40 semi i belive it was a good oil not the cheap rubbish

regards peter

• bluesbiker

Posted February 25, 2012 - 06:00 AM

well heres the problem whats left of my new piston what caused it now plenty oil water ok rad still full

Posted Image

• miweber929

Posted February 25, 2012 - 06:30 AM

I had a piston in an XR650L do that after I didn't properly gap the rings (thought the shop did it) and it finally got hot enough that they seized shut and wrecked the piston.

I probably had 60 miles on that bike before it happened.

Just a thought.

• bluesbiker

Posted February 28, 2012 - 02:52 PM

the heads away to be relined plated waiting for it coming back water ways fine lots of oil to cams etc my only thought now is the oil pipe that feeds the piston skirt area could this be in any way restricted a blockage yes but the mechanic said if it were blocked the gudgeon pin would be the first to go not piston
i would like to get to the bottom of this b4 a rebuild costing too much

regards peter uk

• bluesbiker

Posted February 29, 2012 - 02:57 PM

reet getting some where the squish must be spot on after a head and barrel skim too close the piston to cyl head this over heats and causes all sorts of bova so i need a squish test does any one no the gap thanks

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.