yz400f carb swap with kx450f 06

2 replies to this topic
  • tek_01

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:35 PM

As the titles states, is the kx450f carb compatible with the yz400f bike ? I know the later carbs on yzf's fit on the 400 but not sure about different manufacturers (both fcr carbs?)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:31 PM

As the titles states, is the kx450f carb compatible with the yz400f bike ? I know the later carbs on yzf's fit on the 400 but not sure about different manufacturers (both fcr carbs?)

Without doing any research beyond having seen one on the bike, it seems to me they should be the same as the Yamaha carb. But if money's involved, you should look at 3 major areas where trouble can come up.
  • The mounting "spigot" that clamps into the intake adapter/isolater. Obvious.
  • The throttle linkage. Not so obvious, maybe. Is it compatible with your cables and throttle? Will it work if you buy the right cables, or will you need a different throttle, too? Don't forget that you'll need the whole hot start assembly from the plunger up to the lever on the bars. (BTW, a YZ450 carb requires throttle cables and a complete hot start, but your current throttle grip will work)
  • The air boot connector. Very much not obvious, but occasionally a manufacturer will spec out a custom air horn because of their intake layout. Usually not a problem, but it's expensive to cure it if it is one. So compare them. (YZ450 air horn fits, but the carb is overall about 8mm shorter than the YZ400 FCR. Best assembly is to clamp the air boot on the loose carb, then push the carb forward into the isolater and clamp it.)

• tek_01

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:10 PM

hmm thanks for that
Might skip that idea the carb is in the US so i dont have a pic or have a chance to take a look at it myself to see if it will work

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.