Ignition problems wr450f

2 replies to this topic
  • tobias3

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:32 PM

I am still trying to discover why I have no spark on my wr 450f. None of my resistance testing seems to point to any bad devices. So now I am looking for power from the engine. I am using my meter on volts ac and checking for power when I kick the engine over. So far I get nothing at the two wires that lead to the coil pack on top of my plug.I do how ever get a small reading of around 3VAC at my alternator/stator coils.Nothing at the pulse generator but I dont know if I should be getting anything here. This leads me to suspect my CDI because I believe the power from the stator runs through my CDI before it gets to my coil pack.
I have checked for continuity allover the place and found no problems with any of the wiring connections. If any one has some advice or insight it would very much be appreciated.
I have unanswered questions on my previous post about some this stuff if any one feels like reading it.

Read more: http://forums.dirtri...l#ixzz1n4eOEI00

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • travertt

Posted February 22, 2012 - 09:21 AM

I am using my meter on volts ac and checking for power when I kick the engine over. So far I get nothing at the two wires that lead to the coil pack on top of my plug.

Let me preface this with the disclosure that I am not very knowledgable when it comes to electrical issues...so please keep that in mind when you read the following..

It is my understanding that the stator on the WR puts out both AC and DC. AC for the lights and DC for everything else...IE ignition. So you may want to have you meter set on volts DC when looking for power at the coil.

Just a thought...and maybe a bad one...but might help this thread get going.

• tobias3

Posted February 24, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for that bit of info. I was unclear which polarity to set my meter to. The readings I got were on DC, but not very defined since they change so fast when I kick the motor over.
I welcome more imput from others.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.