New bike... Nah. Just keep fixing the 07...

8 replies to this topic
  • clutchless

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:38 AM

Been thinking about getting a new bike. Something i can stick a light on. Maybe a green sticker.

That lasted about a weekend.

Instead I ordered up:

Hinson clutch kit, GYTR Off Road flywheel, Reed Bend Pro Tapers, New Pegs, and some new gear w/helmet.

Bike has about 250 hours on it. 100 on a new top end. Still starts 2nd kick. I'll check the valves just for fun while i'm adding the new parts.

Give it a good cleaning while i am at it. It will look new when i am done and hopefully with the flywheel and the clutch it will ride like new.

2007 YZF450.

Edited by clutchless, February 21, 2012 - 08:38 AM.

• KUSTOMZMAN1

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:48 AM

I have 2 rides on my 2012 yz450f and Im selling it and going back to my trusty 07 yz450f. The new bikes are nice and I can feel the difference, but just not worth all that extra money in my opinion.

• urgreathero

Posted February 22, 2012 - 06:09 PM

love my 07 its been bullet proof and exstremely trust worthy so far :]

• clutchless

Posted February 23, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Anyone ever done a seafoam/oil mix engine flush ? Got a little bit of dirty sludgy oil built up in areas.

Or just thinking about adding seafoam without oil and just letting it soak for a day then draining.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted February 23, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Anyone ever done a seafoam/oil mix engine flush ? Got a little bit of dirty sludgy oil built up in areas.

Or just thinking about adding seafoam without oil and just letting it soak for a day then draining.

What oil are you using?

• clutchless

Posted February 23, 2012 - 03:57 PM

Maxima premium. Change every 5 - 10 hours on the dot. 250+ hours on this engine you will get some buildup regardless. Unless you split the case and hand clean the engine every year. Things will get stuck on there.

Not worried about the oil. Just trying to clean it out a bit while i have the case covers off.

• Gunner354

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Maxima premium. Change every 5 - 10 hours on the dot. 250+ hours on this engine you will get some buildup regardless. Unless you split the case and hand clean the engine every year. Things will get stuck on there.

Not worried about the oil. Just trying to clean it out a bit while i have the case covers off.

No oil build up with Redline oil. True polyol ester oil.
Maxima premium is a petroleum blend.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2012 - 07:30 PM

I don't have any in any of mine, either, and I don't use Red Line. What he might actually be talking about rather than real oil sludge is compacted deposits of metallic sediment that will collect here and there. Either way, might consider a bit more frequent changes.

• clutchless

Posted February 23, 2012 - 10:12 PM

It's just the oil that doesn't drain out and is left in the bottom of the engine case. It's dirty and won't drain out on it's own. I poured some Sea Foam in the bottom of the case and let it sit for about 5 hours. Then turned the bike on it's side and drained it out. Worked pretty well. I'm going to repeat again tomorrow.

As usual TT gets a bit dramatic with their thoughts. This is me being super anal and going to stage 5 on cleaning out a bike with 250 hours. It's not the oil used, it's not the frequency of changes. It's just trying to clean it to a spotless state while the bike is apart.

In conclusion. If you want to flush out your old oil completely, just pour in Sea Foam and drain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.