Supercross

JGR/ Joe Gibbs Racing

92 replies to this topic
  • T-Doshi9

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:11 PM

This is getting silly, but fun to read. It's clearly not the bike. There were 7 Yamahas out of the top 20 in the series final standings last year. Who knows why there's not as many blue bikes on the gate this year - probably contingency $. If I was a struggling privateer living week to week I'd go where the money was too. In our local series the top guys are usually on the brands that pay back the best.

while you have a point with the privateers where is the guys that have been running yami for awhile? its not just the privateers that have moved on to other bikes! don't take this wrong I'm not saying its all the bike! but it speaks that there are only a handful of riders on the yami after a big change like this. it changes everything about the bike. its hard to fund that. and if the bike needs changes its even more $$$ to fund that! JGR will get it right and make it work but at what cost and how long? its already not the same bike we get so is it worth it? i say break the contract that they shouldn't have signed and move on!

Edited by T-Doshi9, February 22, 2012 - 07:12 PM.

• OR Racer46

Posted February 22, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well as soon as JS wins on his Showa / JGR , suspended , Pirelli tired, 1 off Gas tank 1 off plastics , custom seated and god only knows what elseBike i am going to run out and buy a new Yamaha becuse i will then know its the best bike out there . Give me a break the thing is a Frankenbike no wonder they cant figure it out . Now with that said 2 years ago JGR built a show bike not sure what happend to that ? but that was 1 nice looking bike , thats what i would want .

Edited by OR Racer46, February 22, 2012 - 08:26 PM.

• arel451

Posted February 22, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yamaha needs to step up and make some geometry changes as well as substantial weight loss to these bikes instead of bng every year, otherwise the starting lines will become Yamaha free. I don't totally buy into the bike is not the problem ideology, its becoming an epidemic amongst the pro ranks. For the casual rider I'm sure they're fine but there has to be something that pro's don't like about it. The 2009 CRF 450 was the same way, but they figured out the issues the following year and now theres a lot more red out there. Jame's motivation may not be as high in fear of getting lawn darted into the ground as the race wears on-riding with a 16 pound disadvantage. Thats ridiculous.

• meyermetal

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:42 AM

Well as soon as JS wins on his Showa / JGR , suspended , Pirelli tired, 1 off Gas tank 1 off plastics , custom seated and god only knows what elseBike i am going to run out and buy a new Yamaha becuse i will then know its the best bike out there

Umm.....He already won

How's your new Yami

• numroe

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:39 AM

He needs to be on a bike he likes..period!!

So I guess you are implying he should be on the RMZ? I cannot help to watch and imagine if he was on a bike that behaved in a way that he can trust. I think that'd be any brand out there, except blue.

Lap times dont tell the whole story. James is riding most races likes he's treading on egg shells. RV can make the same mistake as James, in the same part of the track, but RV stays up and James hits the dirt. I'm no big James Stewart fan, but I dont enjoy watching him ride like he is.

Any fans claiming James has lost his skills or fitness is a load of...

Edited by numroe, February 23, 2012 - 06:57 AM.

• shmacky78

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:42 AM

So is this tank really 16 friggin pounds heavier?? that seems crazy to me, and if it is , imagine riding your bike on a track with a 16 pound back pack on , that would surely drop atleast a half a second off your lap time? i dunno im over thinking, but damn!!

• 2-fiddy

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:44 AM

Yamaha needs to step up and make some geometry changes as well as substantial weight loss to these bikes instead of bng every year, otherwise the starting lines will become Yamaha free. I don't totally buy into the bike is not the problem ideology, its becoming an epidemic amongst the pro ranks. For the casual rider I'm sure they're fine but there has to be something that pro's don't like about it. The 2009 CRF 450 was the same way, but they figured out the issues the following year and now theres a lot more red out there. Jame's motivation may not be as high in fear of getting lawn darted into the ground as the race wears on-riding with a 16 pound disadvantage. Thats ridiculous.

First off my 09 CRF 450r is good enough for me...mind you I haven't managed to win a SX event yet. So I guess you are correct.

Next off..what is this 16 pounds BS. Is stewie a little shrimp or what? Do you really think he and his bike together had a 16 pound deficit to the Chad Reed and bike combination? How about poor K-Dubb? He would have to cut off both legs to weigh as little as tiny stewie. I laugh at the mooks who argue back and forth about one bike's weight having an advantage over another.... while chunky lifts his helmet to stuff another ho-ho in mouth, sitting astride his ever so light KTM "even with a battery and magneto".

When I want to shave a bit of weight from my bike...It is cheaper to lose 5 pounds off my body than to start switching to Carbon fibre. In fact, if I take fibre rather than purchase carbon fibre I will probably get faster and cheaper results. :bonk:

Edited by 2-fiddy, February 23, 2012 - 06:45 AM.

• numroe

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:48 AM

The bike is not the problem... you dont go out and ride on rails to beat the competition by 20 secs one week and then come back and crash out the next on a "terrible" bike. You dont set the fast lap by over a second and come out and crash that same bike on the same track in the main on the same bike that was stable enough to push that hard before

Yes a terrible bike can easily do both those things. Tracks differ week to week. A lot. A poor handling bike can easily put a rider on the dirt if the rider backs his pace down a fraction.

James , has the speed and lacks the desire/ discipline.

Nope, he lacks speed. Else he'd be lapping consistently faster, and getting more holeshots. His pride is at stake. Worth much more to him than $. Will power is not the problem.

Edited by numroe, February 23, 2012 - 06:51 AM.

• numroe

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:55 AM

When I want to shave a bit of weight from my bike...It is cheaper to lose 5 pounds off my body than to start switching to Carbon fibre.

After the start straight, bike weight and body weight are very different things. If you dont get that now, then I you never will. Surely you've swapped between riding a 450 and a 250F and noticed some differences besides just the motor output. If you think your stock 09 CRF450R works just fine, then you probably wont respect James or anyone who comments on bike handling woes.

That said, I've no clue what the weight of James' bike is compared to the others out there. Stock bike weights probably dont mean much.

Edited by numroe, February 23, 2012 - 07:01 AM.

• BDubb106

Posted February 23, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Nope, he lacks speed. Else he'd be lapping consistently faster, and getting more holeshots. His pride is at stake. Worth much more to him than $. Will power is not the problem.

:bonk: What makes you think that? Do you even watch the races? Obviously not if you think he is not still fast. James, Poto, and Reed were all within thenths of a second when comparing lap times and have been all season :lol: Will power is def. an issue. When you stall the bike and take your good ole time trying to start it back up, that is a lack of will. IDK how you see things but I call that throwing in the towel. He has the speed now and always has that never has been the issue. Even the biggest JS haters will admit he's still fast. His bike is not terrible. Ill buy in if someone can tell me the last time they heard him say that? He is fast enough and his bike is fast enough... he needs to get his focus back and catch a little luck.

Edited by BDubb106, February 23, 2012 - 07:05 AM.

• 2-fiddy

Posted February 23, 2012 - 07:55 AM

After the start straight, bike weight and body weight are very different things. If you dont get that now, then I you never will. Surely you've swapped between riding a 450 and a 250F and noticed some differences besides just the motor output. If you think your stock 09 CRF450R works just fine, then you probably wont respect James or anyone who comments on bike handling woes.

That said, I've no clue what the weight of James' bike is compared to the others out there. Stock bike weights probably dont mean much.

This from a guy with an 06...Typical comment from a guy who spends too much time reading articles and not enough time riding. Yeah I have read all sorts of crappy articles on the 2009. That being said mine works fine and when it doesn't I will fix it. Big deal.

I ride, I race and I built and run my own club and track...What do you do?

• BBA

Posted February 23, 2012 - 09:40 AM

:bonk: What makes you think that? Do you even watch the races? Obviously not if you think he is not still fast. James, Poto, and Reed were all within thenths of a second when comparing lap times and have been all season :lol: Will power is def. an issue. When you stall the bike and take your good ole time trying to start it back up, that is a lack of will. IDK how you see things but I call that throwing in the towel. He has the speed now and always has that never has been the issue. Even the biggest JS haters will admit he's still fast. His bike is not terrible. Ill buy in if someone can tell me the last time they heard him say that? He is fast enough and his bike is fast enough... he needs to get his focus back and catch a little luck.

Because his bike is so heavy that after having to wrestle it back up he was totally exhausted and couldn't give it a good kick until he caught his breath!!

Now I don't believe the bs I just typed but I thought I would throw this theory out there before one of his fans did. :lol:

• numroe

Posted February 23, 2012 - 02:51 PM

Now I don't believe the bs I just typed but I thought I would throw this theory out there before one of his fans did. :bonk:

LOL. That was good.

Typical comment from a guy who spends too much time reading articles and not enough time riding. Yeah I have read all sorts of crappy articles on the 2009. That being said mine works fine and when it doesn't I will fix it. Big deal.

Exactly, if your bike feels ok to you then fine. What I'm getting at is if you cannot feel the handling problems with your 09, then you never will, and you will never understand what can be wrong with the handling of Stewart's bike.

It's getting off topic ... I have done enough ride of hours on friend's 09 and '10 CRFs. In stock trim and also with the usual fixes, plus some time spent dialing it in, and the difference between the best stock and properly fixed is ridiculously good.

Edited by numroe, February 23, 2012 - 02:53 PM.

• numroe

Posted February 23, 2012 - 02:58 PM

What makes you think that? Do you even watch the races? Obviously not if you think he is not still fast. James, Poto, and Reed were all within thenths of a second when comparing lap times and have been all season. Will power is def. an issue.

Of course he's still fast. But he's not as fast as he can be. He is lacking speed IF the objective is to beat Villopoto. Speed is relative. You can see it in his riding style, Stewart looks like he's never sure what's going to happen. Doing a couple of Bubba's World seasons wont stop him from knowing how to ride. I hope he and his team get there. I love watching him ride when he's on REALLY on it for many laps.

I wrote this earlier:[color=#282828]Lap times dont tell the whole story. James is riding most races likes he's treading on egg shells. RV can make the same mistake as James, in the same part of the track, but RV stays up and James hits the dirt. I'm no big James Stewart fan, but I dont enjoy watching him ride like he is.[/color]

Edited by numroe, February 23, 2012 - 03:04 PM.

• JMX3358

Posted February 23, 2012 - 03:24 PM

I'm into this sport way late in life; only been riding and following the sport starting in 2006. JS and the Kawi was a good match back in the day. It's like some weird voodoo guy that has cast a spell on the Yamaha and JS. We'll see JS back into podium finishes, hopefully soon. RV is even better and faster on the Kawi; the KX bikes have been running strong for the last 6 years.
Oh and I do have another bike in the garage; the other bike is not green and it's not blue either.

• KJ790

Posted February 23, 2012 - 03:32 PM

Whoever said that the JGR bike is 16 pounds heavier than any of the other bikes is an idiot. All of the top teams bikes are right at the weight limit set by the AMA. This is why they get weighed in tech inspection each week, sometimes they have to add weight to meet the minimum requirement. It's amazing what you can do with a lot of titanium and carbon fiber.

• MotoEye

Posted February 23, 2012 - 04:20 PM

Whoever said that the JGR bike is 16 pounds heavier than any of the other bikes is an idiot. All of the top teams bikes are right at the weight limit set by the AMA. This is why they get weighed in tech inspection each week, sometimes they have to add weight to meet the minimum requirement. It's amazing what you can do with a lot of titanium and carbon fiber.

The "idiot" would be Steve Matthes at RacerX in this article. http://www.racerxonl...rvations-dallas

With a background of having been a factory mechanic at Yamaha and wrenching for Team USA at the MXON as well as having a few other gigs where he's been under the tents with the top guys, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Your contention about all the contenders being right at the limit", is the first time I've heard this. Anything to support this? That would go against the need for the AMA ruling a couple of seasons ago that stopped mechanics from the practice of sanding down and thinning ("polishing") frames to reduce weight.

• Jarrad

Posted February 23, 2012 - 04:53 PM

James Stewart = Dead Man Walking.

• 2-fiddy

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:38 PM

LOL. That was good.

Exactly, if your bike feels ok to you then fine. What I'm getting at is if you cannot feel the handling problems with your 09, then you never will, and you will never understand what can be wrong with the handling of Stewart's bike.

It's getting off topic ... I have done enough ride of hours on friend's 09 and '10 CRFs. In stock trim and also with the usual fixes, plus some time spent dialing it in, and the difference between the best stock and properly fixed is ridiculously good.

This comment makes me laugh. I have a 2008 yz250 and I recently sold my yz250f. I have never ridden a 450 until I bought my buddy's CRF450R, for a sweet deal. Of course it handles different than my other bikes. No-kidding. How am I supposed to compare it against another 450 that I am not comfortable riding or isn't set-up for me? Nobody I know is going to let me take their 2011 2010 or 2012 for a day long rip...So I will just have to enjoy my bike as it is.

My rule of thumb for any mods is more track time. If my bike doesn't handle as well as I wished, it is probably because i need more track time. Other than factory recalls, which there was an issue, I don't search for better lap times in a parts catalog.

I am sure you can make your point without being condescending.

• BDubb106

Posted February 23, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Of course he's still fast. But he's not as fast as he can be. He is lacking speed IF the objective is to beat Villopoto. Speed is relative. You can see it in his riding style, Stewart looks like he's never sure what's going to happen. Doing a couple of Bubba's World seasons wont stop him from knowing how to ride. I hope he and his team get there. I love watching him ride when he's on REALLY on it for many laps.

I wrote this earlier:[color=#282828]Lap times dont tell the whole story. James is riding most races likes he's treading on egg shells. RV can make the same mistake as James, in the same part of the track, but RV stays up and James hits the dirt. I'm no big James Stewart fan, but I dont enjoy watching him ride like he is.[/color]

Ill go along with this, but so is everyone else... No one is on RV's level at the moment. Im confident in saying that RV is quite comfortable with the way thing are going. The guy is hauling the mail, and the one guy who was willing to push him is no longer in it. Someone has to step up or things are gonna get boring really quickly.

Edited by BDubb106, February 23, 2012 - 06:31 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

10 reasons JS7 will NEVER win another chamionship by MrN2OBelvedere

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 16 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Grant confirmed on TwoTwo. by cygrace74mx

• 23 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Tickle officially still on RCH by cygrace74mx

• Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Silly Season facts by BBA

• Hot  71 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

JS7, 2015 and beyond by wes513v

• Hot  81 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.