quiet pipes

13 replies to this topic
  • yamaharichey

Posted October 08, 2003 - 12:32 PM

Me again, I just can't stop thinking about dirt bikes even though I'am supposed to be working. I'am looking for a new muffler for my 450, thinking of the new quiet ones, I know FMF makes the Q, Pro Circut makes the 696, and I think White Bros. has one. FMF seems to be the only ones advertising them, I keep waiting for a quiet pipe shootout so I can decide which is the best. The manufacuers don't seem to be pushing them much. I think it was Dirt Bike that said they would be doing a shootout a couple of issue's back but nothing yet. anyone got one of them on their bikes?

• sjw

Posted October 08, 2003 - 12:52 PM

FMF Q is great !!!!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted October 08, 2003 - 12:53 PM

Me again, I just can't stop thinking about dirt bikes even though I'am supposed to be working. I'am looking for a new muffler for my 450, thinking of the new quiet ones, I know FMF makes the Q, Pro Circut makes the 696, and I think White Bros. has one. FMF seems to be the only ones advertising them, I keep waiting for a quiet pipe shootout so I can decide which is the best. The manufacuers don't seem to be pushing them much. I think it was Dirt Bike that said they would be doing a shootout a couple of issue's back but nothing yet. anyone got one of them on their bikes?

Pro Circuit is the 496 Blue one has one on his WR450 he likes it.

WB has the E2 due any day, first the CRF450 then the YZF450

FMF Has one But IMO are not very well put together. I just dont like em.

Yosh is in the Works I am told and the others well they just make Power Sucking Inserts and ain't worth spit

• The_Blue_One

Posted October 08, 2003 - 01:40 PM

I have the pro circuit 496.It is a well built pipe has better power than my stock pipe w/baja insert. It is lighter by 3lbs. It tested right at 96dbs. I will be doing an informal pipe shoot out between the pro circuit and the white bros e2(when it comes out. If any one in the bay area has a fmf Q and a wr 450.We could swap between the three and see which is the best. :)

• KAYAKROSS

Posted October 08, 2003 - 01:51 PM

It looks like you know your pipes so I wondered if you or anyoun out there would have advice or info for me in regard to quieting the "big Gun" exhaust I have on my wr400? I called the company and they will sell me an insert for $50 that'll bring it down a bit but I hoped someone would have a less expensive idea. ...I know 50 aint too bad but every penny...

Thanks,

chris :)

• Mike_Hudson

Posted October 08, 2003 - 07:02 PM

Whats your impression of the 496 vs. uncorked stock (my gold standard)?
Mike

• The_Blue_One

Posted October 08, 2003 - 07:09 PM

Mike it has been awhile since i've ridden with the uncorked pipe. I would say it at least it's equal but alot quieter doing it. I am impressed with the pipe but with the white bros e2 quiet pipe on the horizon.I would wait for it. The only reason being that it is $80 bucks cheaper. I'm sure they will have near the same power.

Anyone in the bay area,california that wants to try it is more than welcome to. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted October 08, 2003 - 07:40 PM

And watch out for the ones with a tab welded on for mounting, they break, look for the newer ones with a band type mount. :)

• ogrebelle

Posted October 09, 2003 - 10:08 AM

FMF is put together just fine. :) I love mine and my buddies that use 'em love theirs. Neither myself or anyone I have known who've had them have ever had any quality issues.
Doug

• rockieman

Posted October 10, 2003 - 08:03 AM

Pipe shootout on the Yz450's in this (November)months Dirt Bike. :)

• Poway Rider

Posted October 10, 2003 - 04:57 PM

Based on good info from the Blue-One, I've installed the PC496. I'm impressed with the fit, but had a few mounting issues. A YZ (upper mount) rubber gromet and collar was needed (and wasn't provided and there were poor install instructions). I re-jetted this week to 162/45 and plan to try it in the desert this Sunday. I'm looking forward to comparing the power to the uncorked stock pipe. By the way, I was told that the E2 might be another month.

• RLucky82

Posted October 11, 2003 - 05:52 AM

The reason you don't see much advertising for quiet pipes is that "quiet" doesn't sell. go figure :)

and my fmf kinda sucks melted a hole in my number plate and its heavy :D ...Does the 450pipe fit on the 400? hint hint

• John_Lorenz

Posted October 11, 2003 - 08:11 AM

The reason you don't see much advertising for quiet pipes is that "quiet" doesn't sell. go figure :)

and my fmf kinda sucks melted a hole in my number plate and its heavy :D ...Does the 450pipe fit on the 400? hint hint

I dont think so. I thnk it is because they still have excess inventory of the old style pipes. I dont feel the OEMs give a rip about sound its Green backs they want

I WB's case they claim they are still waiting on Patents (CLAIM)

• RLucky82

Posted October 12, 2003 - 12:41 PM

read these forums all the kids ask "how loud is it?" they sell what they get requests for!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.