Setting float level?

14 replies to this topic
  • carl johansson

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:06 PM

anyone have a pictorial or well writen piece on how to measure and set the float level? 300 XC-W 2008. the manual is useless!

Edited by carl johansson, February 19, 2012 - 02:07 PM.

• Squid_Racer

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:20 PM

You hold the carb upside down and with the flat part where the bowl matches to the carb at a 45 degree angle and the floats should remain at the same angle as the carb bowl mating surface. Does that make any sense?

• carl johansson

Posted February 19, 2012 - 05:44 PM

You hold the carb upside down and with the flat part where the bowl matches to the carb at a 45 degree angle and the floats should remain at the same angle as the carb bowl mating surface. Does that make any sense?

Yah, but the manual says 60%, and who knows what is 45 degrees and 60 degrees. i was hoping someone had a bit more scientific method, but I know this whole carb this is alot of art involved. I have do the tilt carb deal, and i think i have it right, just looking for a better way!

• cxcmoto

Posted February 20, 2012 - 09:03 AM

This thread has some good pics --

http://ktmtalk.com/i...howtopic=430342

• hrpufinstuff

Posted February 20, 2012 - 12:46 PM

If you want to know when the floats are really closing off the fuel, you can take a fuel line, or your breather from your tank, and connect it to the carb where your fuel line would connect. As you tlt the carb, letting the floats move toward the closed (raised) position, you can blow into the line and feel when the valve is closed. Just don't inhale.

I had a post on this last year but can't find it. I'll keep looking.

• hrpufinstuff

Posted February 20, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Here you go. Go directly to page 2 if it doesn't come up automatically. There's a post by cactus 73 and a picture that says it all.
http://www.thumperta...ng/page__st__20

• BlackCR25098

Posted February 20, 2012 - 01:12 PM

Here you go. Go directly to page 2 if it doesn't come up automatically. There's a post by cactus 73 and a picture that says it all.
http://www.thumperta...ng/page__st__20

I don't understand the reference picture on page 2. My keihin PJ carb's float level is supposed to be 16 mm also. Last week I took them off and taught myself how to do it, but the floats on that PWK pictured are not parallel with the float base rim...At least that's what I've heard to be close as possible to stock. At 16mm mine are basically parallel or level with the rim where the float bowl bolts on if that makes sense. The PWK in that thread looks like the floats are leaning nose up or something, i dunno.

OP THIS is the best float level thread by far IMO!!!
http://www.allthings...mmentary-13608/

Edited by BlackCR25098, February 20, 2012 - 01:13 PM.

• carl johansson

Posted February 20, 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I got it!

• hardhitwarrior

Posted March 03, 2012 - 07:23 PM

from totaly upside down, rock the carb so that the float makes at the first stop (trying to flip it upright). its like between 45-60 degrees. watch the float (left-right) if its level/parallell to the sealing surface of the carb body. adjust the TANG of the float assembly as needed.

by rocking the carb to almost half way upright makes the float tang automatically level/touch the float needle WITHOUT compressing it. the only thing youll be concentrating would be to level the black rubber float to the sealing surface.

• BlackCR25098

Posted March 04, 2012 - 07:56 PM

from totaly upside down, rock the carb so that the float makes at the first stop (trying to flip it upright). its like between 45-60 degrees. watch the float (left-right) if its level/parallell to the sealing surface of the carb body. adjust the TANG of the float assembly as needed.

by rocking the carb to almost half way upright makes the float tang automatically level/touch the float needle WITHOUT compressing it. the only thing youll be concentrating would be to level the black rubber float to the sealing surface.

See, this is the part of measuring the actual float level that I don't understand. I've heard that if you hold it completely vertical upside down then it might compress the needle down into that hole some or something? But yet when I do it I'm not visually seeing it compress what so ever. So I flipped it upside down and then slowly turned it back vertical until it just seated, and then took my measurement to be safe, but I still don't understand exactly....

• hardhitwarrior

Posted March 04, 2012 - 08:39 PM

you are almost to what iv describe its just you dont have to look if its compressing or not. you can feel the float assembly give a nodge sound/feels when you try to upright it vetically. the first nodge is the one you are aiming for. then you measure the hight of the center of the float relation to the selaing surface. or eyball that the left and right of the black float has thesame exposure measurment in relation to the sealing surface.

put one eye level with the sealing surface.

• DrThumper

Posted March 05, 2012 - 10:52 AM

I use a fat piece of dowel (actually a piece of wooden curtain rod), held in a vice, put the carb on the dowel. So that the hinge pin is up (can't remember off the top of my head wether it's intake down or intake up).

Adjust the angle to 60* using a 30-60-90 Triangle (found at most book stores, Staples, etc). Measure off of the flat mating surface for the bowl. Measure the float height carefully to spec.

When installing back onto the bike I use a small bubble level across the top of the carb (before putting the slide back in). Making sure it's level from left to right, also making sure the bike is level by putting the bubble level on the top of the head at the spark plug hole. The Jap bikes have a notch in the boot, KTM seemed to have left that out of their design.

• BlackCR25098

Posted March 05, 2012 - 11:18 AM

That's funny. In all of their over-designing, they forgot a simplicity! Thanks for the effort hardhitwarrior, but I'm still just lost. I need someone to show me in person or something.

Edited by BlackCR25098, March 05, 2012 - 11:19 AM.

• hallsy

Posted March 05, 2012 - 06:23 PM

That's funny. In all of their over-designing, they forgot a simplicity! Thanks for the effort hardhitwarrior, but I'm still just lost. I need someone to show me in person or something.

See if this helps http://ktmtalk.com/i...howtopic=430342

• BlackCR25098

Posted March 05, 2012 - 07:33 PM

See if this helps http://ktmtalk.com/i...howtopic=430342

Thanks but it won't allow me to view whatever it is...I guess since I'm not a member or something.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.