01 yz426 cam ?

2 replies to this topic
  • riggy

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:06 AM

I was doing some searching and looking for some clarifaction . does the stock cam have a decompression ring on it ? or just the lever by handlebars in block to releave excess pressure in cylinder when starting ? I assume stock doesnt ! also If thats correct I could go to a hotcams intake and exhaust cam with decompression rings on them and then plug the old decomp hole in block and add the hotstart . Has anyone done that and is it easier to start or worth the time and money ?

Edited by riggy, February 19, 2012 - 06:07 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tommie594

Posted February 19, 2012 - 08:34 AM

just got through doing this....

the stock yz426 has a decompression lever that pushes on the exhaust shim/bucket on the exhaust valve on the right side of the bike. the stock 426 cam does not have any type of auto decompression.

i installed a hotcams stage 1 exhaust cam with auto decompression. left the stock intake cam.

i also installed a decompression plug in the cylinder head, and removed the stock decompression lever, cable, and actuator from the head.

i made a trip to the yamaha dealer and picked up a couple of shims yesterday, and put everything back together... (i should have just ordered the hotcams exhaust shim kit)

yes the bike is easier to start... no starting ritual, i just kicked it, and bam, it started.... :bonk:

Edited by tommie594, February 19, 2012 - 08:36 AM.

• riggy

Posted February 19, 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thats the info I was looking for greatly appreciated ! Thanks Tommy .

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.