Correct way to install water pump seals

1 reply to this topic
  • Fruitfarmer231

Posted February 18, 2012 - 10:50 AM

I've had some slick leakage of coolant coming out the weap hole, and replaced the seal underneath the impellor. Still experiencing some leakage, actually worse. fluid seems to accumulate in the cavity between the pump and the crankcase and drains a tablespoon or more when I move the bike off the kickstand. I've gotta pull the crankcase off to inspect the shaft, but want to insure that I am indeed installing the seals in the proper direction. These seals generally have s spring compressing the lip on one side of the seal. I'm of the impression that this is the side that should be facing the compartment you want to seal???? In other words, it should be facing the impellor in the water pump and the other seal (inner) crankcase side should be facing the side where the oil is located. If that is not the case then it may explain why I've got the leak.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted February 18, 2012 - 05:48 PM

Sounds right but did you change the shaft also? If not, that may be your problem.

Good pics here - http://www.thumperta...ith-water-pump/

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.