are Harleys still cool

Harley Davidson

357 replies to this topic
  • AJMAG247

Posted February 18, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Edited by AJMAG247, February 18, 2012 - 09:30 AM.

• parker05_05

Posted February 18, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Well I just had to click play. Never watched this cartoon or whatever its called and now I know why. Glad its locked on the tv so the family can't watch it. While you guys fight over "cool" "uncool" bikes im riding them all. Just got back from a 50 mile dual adventure.

• wayfast1500

Posted February 18, 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have a harley and a suzuki now, out of all the bikes I have owned Ive had this harley the longest. I had a honda which I bought brand new, which left me stranded once, and the coil on my harley was cracked so it left me stranded once in the rain. To each their own I ride with guys on kawasakis, other harleys, crotch rockets, st1100's ect.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted February 19, 2012 - 01:24 AM

This is nice...especially with the newer pipes later on..

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:10 PM

This is gross and off the mark but I can see why some perceive it this way....more by nonriders I think.. The more I watched it the more I didn't like it even though I like south park ..generally

This street rod vid is way better to me:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider, February 19, 2012 - 02:14 PM.

• f800strider

Posted February 19, 2012 - 02:28 PM

Does it come down to just jap or Harley???
I love the BMW's (german)
The italians offer up quality rides as well.

There are VERY loyal Harley fans out there. I don't like those bikes, but tens of thousands of rider see them differently than I.

Posted Image

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Does it come down to just jap or Harley???
I love the BMW's (german)
The italians offer up quality rides as well.

There are VERY loyal Harley fans out there. I don't like those bikes, but tens of thousands of rider see them differently than I.

Posted Image

These are awesome bikes . The local cops have them here and they love them . There are some awesome Ducatis too.. There are lots of great bikes with so many flavors available. Since we were talking Harley I just put up what my choice would be if I were to make a choice.
http://bmwmcmag.com/...kes-for-hawaii/

• orangyktmthing

Posted February 19, 2012 - 07:54 PM

To each their own. When I was younger, I stereo-typed harley riders. I rode crotch rockets and thought all of them were overpriced with the technology of a briggs and stratton. Rode a couple of them, full dressers all the way down to sporties, just weren't for me. Well, now fast forward 10-12 years and a cobalt blue street glide looks pretty bad ass now. I guess to sum it up, I love a bunch of bikes and don't look down on as many groups as I used to.

• Rick99

Posted February 19, 2012 - 09:33 PM

This is cool if you if you don't want a Dual Sport for the road:

Posted Image

• Brian Wilson

Posted February 19, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I can't say anything good or bad about a Harley, mostly because I'm too cheap to buy one. But a couple years ago I needed something that would be comfortable on long rides and fit in the trailer with the dirtbikes when I travel.

Bought a 2003 Yamaha vStar for $3200 through a friend of a friend with 11000 miles on.

Every time I ride that thing I have a perma-grin because it look immaculate, and rides like a cloud.

Me....I'm perfectly happy with my cheap ass Harley wannabe cruiser.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • T.RexRacing

Posted February 20, 2012 - 10:06 AM

And that's all that matters. It's all about the ride.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted February 20, 2012 - 11:10 AM

This is cool if you if you don't want a Dual Sport for the road:

Posted Image

This is an animal speed demon. I'm not into the looks as much but from all accounts it's super fast.

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted February 20, 2012 - 11:17 AM

I can't say anything good or bad about a Harley, mostly because I'm too cheap to buy one. But a couple years ago I needed something that would be comfortable on long rides and fit in the trailer with the dirtbikes when I travel.

Bought a 2003 Yamaha vStar for $3200 through a friend of a friend with 11000 miles on.

Every time I ride that thing I have a perma-grin because it look immaculate, and rides like a cloud.

To me you're smarter. You get the same results for way cheaper...and you don't need to be worrying about people stealing it as much. ..Most times without a trained eye you can't tell what vtwin is what anyway . They all sound and look very similar. My cousin passed away and our family is in charge of selling his 2007 1100 vstar with the cruiser package... Man that thing is nice. I went for a short ride and it is pretty cool. I can totally see where you are coming from.

• OrangeTJ

Posted February 20, 2012 - 12:26 PM

The coolest bike in the world is the one that you enjoy riding the most. Do other people have to think it's cool in order for you to like it? I love my 05 HD Dyna Superglide and to me it's a very cool bike. It does exactly what I want a street bike to do, which is to be a fun, reliable, easy-to-maintain way to get around and take in the road. I'm sure somebody else might look at it and think the opposite. Doesn't matter to me, since I'm the one who paid for it!

Me, personally, I have no interest in or need for a motorcycle designed for the track or to be ridden at a way faster pace than can be safely done on the street so I don't have any interest in truly fast bikes. I can understand why other people like 'em, though. Just not my thing.

The whole question is obviously a goof, but the responses are interesting. I wonder if over on boat forums they have people arguing over whether sailboats are better than jet boats.

• lunkhead

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:01 AM

If it's got wheels and something to hang on to, it's cool. :bonk:

• verticaltwin

Posted February 21, 2012 - 11:54 AM

For me it comes down to the weight of a big heavy cruiser. I rode a friend's '02 Dyna Lowrider (I think that is what it was called) a while back. The forward controls were strange feeling and the bike felt HEAVY. I was nervous as heck for the few miles I rode it. I will say that the low end torque was phenomenal!

I quit street riding after a couple close calls w/cars on my old Triumph 500 a few years ago... but I have the bug once again to have a bike to ride to work on nice days or to take a leisurely country cruise on the weekends. The bike that I want to test ride is the new Kaw 650 Ninja twin. Looks cool and I love a mid sized twin! Not too big and heavy, nimble enough for the fun factor, but enough oomph to get down the interstate ok (unlike my old Triumphs)... lol.

It comes down to personal preference. I used to despise Harleys and called them "butt jewelry"... but I've quit being judgemental like that. As soon as you stereotype someone and have it all figured out, thats about the time you get proven wrong time and time again.

Ride on!

Edited by verticaltwin, February 21, 2012 - 11:55 AM.

• dirtjumpordie

Posted November 16, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Take a look at Victory Motorcycles. They make about 20% more power than the Harleys. They look classy and aggressive at the same time. They also have been designed to be more durable, vibrate less, and exist in pure coolness.

http://www.victorymo...r-enus-cruisers

This video is worth watching and taking into consideration. At the shop I work at we have had to fix quite a few Harley starter problems

• f800strider

Posted November 17, 2012 - 07:29 AM

There is a point where a person loses the obsession of trying to be "cool" in the eyes of others.
I don't know if it's age related, maturity level related, or a combination...but it does fade away.
I remember being concerned about it in high school, but I could not care any less today.
That's my take...
Here is my take on this thread..

Posted Image

Posted Image

That Dodge banner bugs the shit out of me

Edited by f800strider, November 17, 2012 - 12:03 PM.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 18, 2012 - 05:24 PM

What the f do you mean are they cool?..you ain't a man until you own one,,so save up buy one you jeolous ass-hats and shut the f up and stop bashing something that you want and would enjoy very much if you had..they are the true and original"Thumpers"..you dork sausages..not the pos YZ400..they should have made a yz350..2stroke..i'll put it simple terms and I don't expect you younger dudes to get it..The dirt is for racing..so go and buy a mxer..don't buy a dual sport or any other BS,yuppie friggin "Adventure Bike" that has an 8foot seat hight..buy a purpose built machine for the task at hand..so that leaves some simple choices for the road..a crotch rocket or an H-D or an H-D wannabe Jap scrap..if you are not allentino Rossi or live near "The Dragons Tail"..a rocket is a stupid choice pure and simple..as for the other...ma please..do I really have to explain it?..you like fake tits over real ones?..I dont..I don't like fake anything...I'm tired of trying to explain it to you guys..so you H-D haters or whatever the F...they arte sort of like the Ducati twins..not a ton of hp but good ftlbs in the right rpm of where it needs to be for 90% of the time it needs to be for street riding,they look good,they sound good..spare me the loud pipe BS too..some yuppie cant stand my 2into one Vance and hinze going by his house for one second..he can bend down and kiss my ringer..Its a free country and I ain't here to please you..in a free country there has to be tolerance..{within reason]..so shut the f up and go back in the house

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thats all fine
and dandy..whatever gets you out there..I ride all kinds and with all kinds...but...your grin will be way bigger on the H-D..get a bigger 96 or 103 screw the $$ ...once around my friend

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.