purchasing skid plate

16 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted February 16, 2012 - 07:04 PM

have narrowed it down to this:

http://www.utahsport...re/page192.html

or this:

http://www.hyderacin...aha/wr_450f.htm

but not sure which to go with. experiences? reviews?

thanks in advance.

-hop

• KTMFarmer

Posted February 16, 2012 - 07:44 PM

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I have the Utah Sport. IMHO pretty much indestructible. If weight were a big issue for me I would stop eating cookies![/font][/color][/size]

• 1trackmind

Posted February 16, 2012 - 09:41 PM

I also have the Utah Sport. It has taken some pretty hard hits. I'm impressed with it.

• Snarfie

Posted February 17, 2012 - 06:11 AM

Of those two, I'd pick the Utah sport... but I did the same research for my own WR last year, and I picked the Flatland racing plate.. its MASSIVE and is very thick. I highly reccomend it. It fits snugly, so you'll have to fiddle a little bit to get it on.. but once you do it fits like a glove.

For any aluminum plate you get, be sure to cut up an old innertube into several long strips, and sandwich them inbetween the frame rails and the plate.. it helps to cut down on noise and vibes.

• travertt

Posted February 17, 2012 - 08:29 AM

I have the Utah sport on my '04. Easy on / easy off...takes lots of punishment...I would recommend this product.

• matthewbosworth

Posted February 17, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Flatland racing is the best I've got. Ordered and sent back a lot of skidplates. Flatland I
Was the best, uses stock mounting holes, no unsecure frame bar mounts!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• pschiess

Posted February 17, 2012 - 10:29 PM

I have the Scorpion racing skid plate and love it. Fits great. Easy to mount and looks better than the rest in my opinion. Is vented and comes with foam for frame rails as well as foam for under engine to make it quiet. Mounts using no clamps. They give a great TT discount also and free shipping to the US.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

• KGSloan

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:23 AM

I've been really happy with my scorpion skid plate and radiator guards. Quality stuff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted February 20, 2012 - 06:27 AM

I've got a Flatland Racing plate on my WR and a Utah Sport plate on my YZ. Both are about the same thickness and both have taken lots of really nice hits with no damage to anything underneath. Either one of those should provide plenty of protection for many years to come :bonk:

• wrwest

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hyde is ok but dont last . I have one and the holes dont match the bike well . Buy if you want but you have been warned.

• dustdogg

Posted February 21, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Another vote for the Flatland. Uses stock mounting locations and provides great coverage. I have put mine to the test and it seems to be holing up well.

• AM118

Posted March 14, 2012 - 04:00 PM

I chose the Devol & am happy with it. Very durable.

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 15, 2012 - 07:44 PM

how about the utah skid but get the anodized black one? prob already know the answer, but would it hold up? obviously hits from rocks would scratch it. what about normal roost coming off tires? would it get sand blasted?

• 1trackmind

Posted March 15, 2012 - 08:03 PM

how about the utah skid but get the anodized black one? prob already know the answer, but would it hold up? obviously hits from rocks would scratch it. what about normal roost coming off tires? would it get sand blasted?

I would think the anodization would sand blast it. Just guessing.

• The Hopper Show

Posted March 15, 2012 - 08:08 PM

no no not during the anodizing process. i mean when its on the bike would the roost from the front tire "sand blast" the black off the skid. i like the idea of the black accents. carbon light speed frame guards, black rad guards, black handle bars, etc.

• miweber929

Posted March 16, 2012 - 03:45 AM

no no not during the anodizing process. i mean when its on the bike would the roost from the front tire "sand blast" the black off the skid. i like the idea of the black accents. carbon light speed frame guards, black rad guards, black handle bars, etc.

Yes, the sand, rocks and other debris make a perfect "blasting" medium and take the finish off right quick.

Bought a Utah black one for my Dads KLR back a few years ago and within 200 miles it had created a path of missing finish right behind the front wheel. First time you use it, finish will wear off.

Ymmv, however.

• mikewrf18

Posted March 17, 2012 - 06:50 AM

I've been really happy with my scorpion skid plate and radiator guards. Quality stuff

Glad to hear you guys are happy with scorpion. I've been considering going with the scorpion skid plate. I think it's just because I really like the cool scorpion on there though!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.