question changing fork springs on 2012 yz450f

3 replies to this topic
  • mxracer247

Posted February 16, 2012 - 03:56 PM

Do the fork springs come out from the top or the bottom. Can i just leave the forks in the bike and take the cap off and get the springs out that way. Or do I have to take the forks all the way apart and take the springs out from the bottom. If i can take them out from the top I am going to them, it seems simple enough. If the forks have to come apart to change the springs, I am going to have someone do it. I got a quote to change fork springs for 50 dollars and he said he would do the shock for free.

Thanks for all the help guys.

JB

• grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2012 - 07:13 PM

You could change the springs with the forks on the bike, but it would be doing things the hard way, IMO. Normally, you would remove the forks, invert them, remove the rebound adjuster (after backing the clickers all the way off), and disconnect the damper. Then you'd flip the fork over, drain the oil from the outer chamber through the hole in the bottom, and unscrew the octagonal nut at the top to remove the damper cartridge. Then the spring comes out of the bottom of the lower tube.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sean3239

Posted February 16, 2012 - 07:16 PM

nevermind

Edited by sean3239, February 16, 2012 - 07:18 PM.

• mxracer247

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:25 PM

thanks gray, i opted to have my suspension guy change the springs he changed to motorex oil, he said the stock oil is not the best. But the parts guy ordered the wrong shock spring. So no riding for me tomorrow. Sucks i only have one ride on the new 2012. But i will be ready to go by next weekend.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.