2005 wr450 cosmetic update (lots of pics)

94 replies to this topic
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 06, 2012 - 02:54 PM

I put the exhaust on and connected the wiring harness... added a little gas and it started second kick!

Need to finish it up. But... I have a problem with my starter... I'll ask the question in another thread...

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:36 PM

OK... had to work today. But came home around 5 and spent a couple hours on the bike.

-- put the wiring in place (read the manual, it helps!)
-- put on the chinese radiators (noticeably bigger and beefier)
-- fitted the moose racing radiator guards (they actually work with these chinese radiators)
-- filled with coolant and ran the bike through a couple of heat cycles :banghead:
(found a leak... see below)

Here is the current state of the bike...
Posted Image

Here is a closeup of the radiator and the moose racing guards. These are the only ones that will fit these larger and stronger radiators. I did have to squeeze the guards a little, and bend the fittings on the radiators ever so slightly, but they fit no problem and bolted to the bike. More importantly, they hold water.

Posted Image

After running the bike a little, I did notice coolant dripping out from one of the pipes on the front of the head. In the beginning it dripped slowly. But when the bike warmed up, it stopped. I surely won't take any chances with that failing on me later... I need to replace the o-rings. I recommend that everyone should replace their water pump seal every couple of years and also replace those o-rings.

Its leaking from the pipe (#4 below). I'm going to order and replace both the o-rings (#6 and #13 below). It will cost me $5.

Posted Image

• MANIAC998

Posted May 08, 2012 - 03:44 AM

Back in '98, when I had my first Yamie fourstroke, I had to do the same thing. I bought extras, and installed two per pipe, and I never had another leak. This has just given me the idea to order some of these up to have on hand for emergencies. Thanks maurice!!!

She's coming together!!! :banghead:

Maniac

• allterra

Posted May 08, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Wow. That is looking great. I hesitate to ask what you have for hours in to it so far. I would like to do the same some day. I just recieved my bike and am only going to do the basics. Oils coolant and grease. So far I have only done (In the order I did them) motor oil, coolant, wheel bearings, fork oil and seals and head bearings. Next weekend I attack the backend. After that I hope to put in a few rides without wrenching on it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Back in '98, when I had my first Yamie fourstroke, I had to do the same thing. I bought extras, and installed two per pipe, and I never had another leak. This has just given me the idea to order some of these up to have on hand for emergencies. Thanks maurice!!!

She's coming together!!! :banghead:

Maniac

two o-ring per.... great idea!

Wow. That is looking great. I hesitate to ask what you have for hours in to it so far. I would like to do the same some day. I just recieved my bike and am only going to do the basics. Oils coolant and grease. So far I have only done (In the order I did them) motor oil, coolant, wheel bearings, fork oil and seals and head bearings. Next weekend I attack the backend. After that I hope to put in a few rides without wrenching on it.

The hours, I would estimate are about 60 and that includes everything you see in this tread. That's not that bad.. I am about $1000 into this, including the valve job and various parts that I both wanted and needed to change. Ultimately, its not that bad either considering that it runs like a brand new bike.

This whole process started in January and I've been moving real slow. Given the level of detail, I would not want to rush this. Luckily, I have more than one bike to ride.

Ride your bike for a while. Enjoy it. Touch up the paint as you go. Don't let it run all the way down to where you need to strip it down like I had to do. My bullshit "its just a dirt bike" attitude is what allowed me to pay less attention to the looks.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 08, 2012 - 11:16 PM

Well... here's the daily progress. Still working towards riding it this weekend and I have a few things to do still..

I put the cockpit together (clutch, throttle, switches, etcc)
Cleaned up some sloppy wiring (that I caused myself!)
wired up HID setup
put on coolant overflow tank
put on fenders
etc...

Here is where we stand. Still needs a few things. I would estimate another 8 hrs of work if I don't mess around.

Posted Image

• allterra

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:13 AM

looks like it is running in that pic. (headlight appears to be on) You don't need a seat, pegs or brakes Those are just creature comforts. :thumbsup: I would have found it real hard not to just throw on a set of pegs an test it in the yard as soon as the running motor was bolted in. :banghead:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:26 AM

looks like it is running in that pic. (headlight appears to be on) You don't need a seat, pegs or brakes Those are just creature comforts. :applause: I would have found it real hard not to just throw on a set of pegs an test it in the yard as soon as the running motor was bolted in. :thumbsup:

The reason it looks like its running is because it is! :banghead:

Still odds and ends to take care of. Those little things are time consuming. I have a few parts I can't find, some I forgot to order (radiator plastic), and some still waiting to arrive.

One thing I am waiting for is a chain. When I get that, I plan on riding it up and down the street a few times.

• allterra

Posted May 09, 2012 - 01:00 PM

The reason it looks like its running is because it is! :banghead:

Still odds and ends to take care of. Those little things are time consuming. I have a few parts I can't find, some I forgot to order (radiator plastic), and some still waiting to arrive.

One thing I am waiting for is a chain. When I get that, I plan on riding it up and down the street a few times.

:) Ya a chain is one thing you would need. :applause: I totally overlooked that with the dazzle of the rest of the bike. :thumbsup:

• YAMAHASAVAGE

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Your bike is looking really good. It's amazing what a little TLC and dirt under your fingernails can do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 10, 2012 - 02:22 PM

OK... took the morning off from work to get things finished (or at least try to.)

I got everything all buttoned up. Taillight and brake light work. I may or may not put on the turn signals. The new plastic didn't come in and I'm going to break it in this weekend. So I put on the old plastic for now. Doesn't look bad.. but I want it to look great! Disappointing, I know. But rest assured, I have a fresh set of plastic and some new graphics on the way.

I was going to get a new headlight, a clear tank and a new seat. But fixing my KTM suck up the rest of the bike budget, the food budget and half the mortgage too! So... for now, I'm replacing what needed and will patiently shop for good deals on all the 'extras'

Not quite done yet....

No time to work on it tomorrow, so I'll put on the chain, handguards and the skid plate and I will hit the trail on saturday to see how it goes...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mauricedorris, May 10, 2012 - 02:44 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 10, 2012 - 02:47 PM

One more thing of note.... the engine, with the new cylinder and fresh valve job, runs much stronger and healthier than I remember. Don't get me wrong, it was never a slouch. But... the compression is real strong. Once it warms up, I definitely have to use the hot start lever to get it to turn over without laboring.

That's the sign of good compression and a healthy engine. I can't wait for the test ride this weekend.

I like it!

Edited by mauricedorris, May 18, 2012 - 07:52 AM.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 11, 2012 - 04:34 AM

WOOHOO!!! It's running!!! Now get a chain on it, and get to riding it!!! :banghead:
Maniac

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:24 AM

WOOHOO!!! It's running!!! Now get a chain on it, and get to riding it!!! :banghead:
Maniac

Yep.... chain is on,handguards are on and the skid plate is on. Just need to bleed the brakes and I'll be on the trail. I'll put in a few miles for sure, but I'll definitely not do one of my 1st and 2nd gear for 60 miles type of ride.

I'll report back! But... its really looking good!

Edited by mauricedorris, May 18, 2012 - 07:52 AM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 12, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Maniac

Rode about a hundred miles today. I did everything from smooth fire roads to extremely rocky uphills to tight single track.

The bike ran flawlessly. Engine is real strong. Front end kept creeping up and I had to ride a gear high. Nice and torquey, rev'd real high also.

I am a very happy man!

• MANIAC998

Posted May 13, 2012 - 04:16 AM

I say you did a pretty good job then, for a cosmetic up-grade!!! I think your bike had other ideas besides just cosmetics!!
Maniac

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:53 PM

I say you did a pretty good job then, for a cosmetic up-grade!!! I think your bike had other ideas besides just cosmetics!!
Maniac

Thanks. I am quite proud of myself for not rushing and taking my time. On my 100 mile break in ride, the only thing I had to do was to stop on the trail 15 mins into the ride and get some air out of the front brake line cause it was feeling a bit spongy. That took about 10 mins. Other than that, its ready to go for the next ride.

Regarding the costmetic upgrade... I sure went a whole lot further than I planned. I just wanted to clean everything and touch up the frame with some paint. Looks like I went a little further than I planned and it all worked out. :banghead: It literally feels like a brand new bike and will easily last a few more years.

When the new plastic and graphics are installed, I'll post the final pictures and then post the final itemized budget, which I think is about $600 in parts, plus another $375 or so for the valve job. That $1000 is sure a lot cheaper than a new bike.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:07 PM

OK... lets call it DONE!!!! No more information to post on this. I am riding the bike now.

Here is the final details on the restoration project where I freshened up my pretty well maintained, but also well used 05 wr450.

Start: Feb 16th
End: May 31st (I took my time!)
$$$: $1563 (this is not bad considering that the bike looks, runs and feels like new)

I replaced just about everything that was worn and I no longer have the burning desire to go out and buy a new bike. I will put my own kid through college instead of the salesman's kid.

here is the budget and the final pics (go to the first page to see what we started with)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for watching. Be sure to read from the beginning if you are new to this thread.

Maurice

Search Keywords: restoration cosmetic update restore rebuild top end piston cam journal paint frame

• zibbit u2

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:24 PM

bike looks great, congrats.

Hey, what seat is that? And how do you like it?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:58 PM

bike looks great, congrats.

Hey, what seat is that? And how do you like it?

thanks..

http://www.seatconcepts.com

I really like the seat. A few times a year i do some all day dual sport rides (8 hrs or more). Since I put this seat on, my butt has been very happy. I feel nothing. Its great.

Its wider than stock and is like sitting on your couch at home. Its an all day seat.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.