2013 yz450f?

10 replies to this topic
  • moto278

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:21 AM

i just was on yamaha's website and watched some youtube videos of the new 2012 wr450f. the thing looks and sounds sweet! i have a 2010 yz450f right now and love it, but do wish it were slimmer. i hear the wr450f uses the yz250f frame? it looks looks like they just shoved the old 5-valve motor in the new yz250f frame, with beefier suspension and FI. do you guys think the 2013 yz450f will finally see a slimmer design? mayb different motor? i doubt the motor will change but with pros wanting slimmer bikes and the wr usin the 250f frame i am startin to think mayb yamaha will finally slim it down some? what does everyone else think?

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:40 AM

The current rear inclined YZ450 will obviously not fit into a YZ250F frame without considerably more modifications than were done to accommodate the WR450. Whether Yamaha retools anything on the '13 models remains to be seen, but in the current economy, I am less inclined to expect it than I ordinarily would be.

• HRC

Posted February 13, 2012 - 12:38 PM

I had some email contact with Jody Wiesel of Motocross Action magazine regarding this subject a couple weeks ago.

He had talked to some inside Yamaha guy and he had not got any yes or no word on it , but Jody said the body language of the Yamaha guy expressed a No, there won´t be any big news for 2013.

But nothing is certain.

• aja342

Posted March 19, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread,

Does it seem like Yamaha makes admitting they have an issue with a design worse than the issue itself?

• HRC

Posted March 20, 2012 - 01:20 AM

Does it seem like Yamaha makes admitting they have an issue with a design worse than the issue itself?

When did Yamaha admit they have an issue ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted March 20, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Honda takes the cake in that department. That said, no company is going to deliberately sabotage their own sales by admitting a "problem".

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2012 - 09:05 AM

What "issue" does the bike supposedly have that anyone should admit to?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:53 AM

There will be no real changes to the 2013......no real R&D budget, world economy hurting and Tsunami repair being the major emphasys in Japan, don't expect anything spectacular....

Grey you know I am rarely here these days, but I can not help but to re iterate what the Honda fools will say....you know the design causes wrecks and keeps yamaha from any championships....HA HA....hmm honda and crashes and championships.... I guess all the new designs except green and yellow stink. Take care Bud!

• ah665

Posted March 21, 2012 - 07:01 AM

I personally think the 2010-2012 is a good starting point. I wouldn't think Yamaha would go backwards in development by using a YZ based off of the WR set-up. I own a new-gen YZ250f and have nothing but great things to say about it but I feel like Yamaha has just scratched the surface with this new chassis/motor in the current YZ450f. There surely is a way to slim it down and lighten it up, but keep in mind it is the 2nd lightest bike in the class. I think eventually as money allows they will take the current bike another step forward but this is just my opinion.

• aja342

Posted March 21, 2012 - 02:49 PM

The money thing is a good point... they will most likely go silent untill they can afford more costly adjustments.... till then it is colors, suspension valving, and mapping.

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2012 - 03:07 PM

...and suspension valving gets changed 2-3 times a year, anyway.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.