Question about Rivets?

4 replies to this topic
  • motoman393

Posted August 12, 2001 - 11:45 AM

Hey Guys,

I got a few questions about removing/installing rivets in a stock muffler.

1)Removal: How are you supposed to remove these things? (Im guessing a drill bit that fits in the hole right?)

2)Installation: How do you install new rivets once you remove the olds ones? and can you buy them at a local hardware store?

The reason I am asking about removing/installing the rivets is: I bent my stock muffler very slightly about 6 months ago, and it barely rubs the rear tire. I need to remove the canister to bend the mid section piece back (it is only bent about 1/2" and will be easy to repair). But, the canister has to be removed first! I would appreciate any replies you guys have Thanks,

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 426!
Motoman393's MX Site

[This message has been edited by motoman393 (edited 08-12-2001).]

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 12, 2001 - 03:44 PM

You can remove them with a drill, or a small grinder if you're very careful. The drill would probably be neater and easier.

You can get new rivits at the local hardware store and you'll also need a rivit gun. You should be able to get a home use model for only a few bucks (I'm guessing less than $20).

Just food for thought, but I have seen people use self tapping screws slightly larger than the holes left by the rivits to reassemble mufflers on other bikes in the past, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work here as well. That way in the future instead of drilling rivits you just unscrew and remove it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXOldtimer

Posted August 12, 2001 - 04:37 PM

I've removed mine before with a drill & used screws to replace, just make sure you seal everything with hi-temp sillycone.

Doug

• flyinguitars

Posted August 13, 2001 - 05:56 AM

Use a drill, thats the way to go.
Mike

• MotoStyle

Posted August 13, 2001 - 10:11 AM

Garrett,

You want to use the drill. Use a bit that is larger than the hollow hole, but smaller than the head of the rivet. Does anyone know the diameter of those rivets? You want to use a drill bit that is the exact diameter preferably, so you can just drive right through and then get the remnants of the debris out when you disassemble. You'll want to know this diameter, since you'll have to buy rivets to replace those..... Go with either Stainless or Aluminum rivets. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.