My 2001 Yz426 wont run right, please help

23 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2012 - 04:45 PM

They're model specific to a large extent. Actually "engine family" specific. YZ/WR400/426 can be interchanged as whole or partial sets to some degree. The '03-'05 YZ450 is a 4 speed, but can be swapped with '03-'06 WR450's as a complete transmission, including forks and cam. Later 450's can be swapped or partly mixed, but that won't help you.

• Bansheeboy914

Posted February 23, 2012 - 08:09 PM

I thought about the 450 being a 4 speed not long after I posted that, and felt a bit stupid for asking. I'm planning on tearing it down this weekend and assessing the damage. Thanks for all the help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ricks426

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:22 PM

I just replaced 4th gear and 2nd on my 2000 yz426f...the best price I found was at "Cheap Cycle Parts" online. They delivered fast and have a diagram that's easy to find the exact parts you need. I think I paid under $70 for the 2 gears. hope that helps you out.

• Bansheeboy914

Posted June 02, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Well, it's been quite a while since I've been on. With working, finishing school, and trying to start a career life has been crazy. You guys were right, the dogs on 3rd, 4th, and 5th were all rounding off and causing my problem. It seems to me that the dog-to-dog design between 3rd and 4th gears is a weak design.

Replaced all three along with the shift fork and now she shreds like shes brand new.

Thanks for all the help.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.