Can i damage my AP pump

6 replies to this topic
  • rcdude33

Posted February 12, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hey guys I got a 09 yz450f with a Dr.d full system.

But here's my question. I did the oring mod to.my.bike and it did help with the bog but in the lower rpms its still there. Now a mechanic told me that when u hit the throttle the oring still flexes. Instead he told me to use wire to tie down the AP pump. That day there's no moving in the pump.

Now if I do this, will.it damage the pump? He told me it should get rid of the bog but like I said I just don't want to damage the pump.

Thanks guys and god bless all of you. And sorry for asking I'm not very good with the four stroke carbs.

Thanks

Alex

• rcdude33

Posted February 12, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Also, would u guys recommend wire instead of the oring?

• rhinoracin

Posted February 12, 2012 - 12:30 PM

I would stick with an o-ring.
I thought before putting the o-ring in, you adjust the screw that the o-ring goes over so theres no gap between it and the AP linkage at wide open throttle?
I put a R&D power pump on my 09, with their AP linkage spring that works better than using an oring or wire. My bike doesnt bog at all. Would it help even more if I adjusted that screw on the AP linkage too?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rcdude33

Posted February 12, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Cool man hahaha but i may have to check that out. Did you notice better throttle response?

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:43 AM

If you wire the pump, you will need to remove most of the button on the diaphragm or the pump linkage will keep your throttle from opening completely. Wiring is a "gorilla" mod for people who can't tune carbs or learn to ride without yanking the throttle open. I absolutely recommend against it.

The O-ring thing works, but a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing is to use the stiffer linkage spring from Merge Racing. The whole point of there being a spring there in the first place is to limit the pump discharge pressure and to allow the pump to bottom without limiting the travel of the throttle linkage.

In almost all cases, the carb can be tuned satisfactorily without any of the expensive aftermarket widgets that have been mentioned here. Start by checking the pump timing per the manual.

• rcdude33

Posted February 13, 2012 - 12:31 PM

If you wire the pump, you will need to remove most of the button on the diaphragm or the pump linkage will keep your throttle from opening completely. Wiring is a "gorilla" mod for people who can't tune carbs or learn to ride without yanking the throttle open. I absolutely recommend against it.

The O-ring thing works, but a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing is to use the stiffer linkage spring from Merge Racing. The whole point of there being a spring there in the first place is to limit the pump discharge pressure and to allow the pump to bottom without limiting the travel of the throttle linkage.

In almost all cases, the carb can be tuned satisfactorily without any of the expensive aftermarket widgets that have been mentioned here. Start by checking the pump timing per the manual.

Really? Thats what eleven ten mods did to my buddy's carb haha. But how much does the spring usually run? Because i would really like to learn how to tune the carb rather than put wire on it haha.

Also doesnt zip ty racing make one?

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Also doesnt zip ty racing make one?

I think you're right.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.