Do fly/cam marks line up exactly?

4 replies to this topic
  • cjard

Posted February 11, 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hi guys

I noted while doing the shims on my YZ426, that if I set the cam marks to align to the head, the I bar on the flywheel is some degrees away:

Cams:Posted Image

Fly:Posted Image

Click for bigger

The mark you can see on the flywheel in the top left of the flywheel cover hole, is the bottom of the I beam.. It's a few degrees out. If I rotate it to line up exactly, the cams don't rotate by even a whole tooth. The bike does run, but doesnt idle too well (valves need shimming too) just wonderd if this could have an impact

Edited by cjard, February 11, 2012 - 02:26 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2012 - 08:56 AM

Rarely. But if you have an old worn cam chain, it can cause the misalignment to be worse than usual. Consider replacing it. Line up on true TDC and check. If the cam would be better lined up on the next tooth one way or other, move it. If not, it's OK.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • volitan

Posted February 11, 2012 - 08:31 PM

If you would have it off by one tooth it would be a lot more off from each other then than.

I just did mine and it was exactly like that.

Even if you are a little off the completely top dead center there is a little bit of a dead zone up there so you can be off by a little bit and it won't do anything. A new chain and tensionner would be the cure to get that to line all up:).. Mine did anyways

• upthemaiden

Posted February 12, 2012 - 08:54 PM

yeah it would be more helpful for us if you took a picture of the cams with the timing mark lined up perfectly so we can see how far off they are. I was having a hell of a time with my bike shortly after I got it. it's really easy to adjust if that's what needs done but if you're is that close then the only thing that would probably fix it is a new chain.

• DC_Excitement

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:09 AM

Rarely. But if you have an old worn cam chain, it can cause the misalignment to be worse than usual. Consider replacing it. Line up on true TDC and check. If the cam would be better lined up on the next tooth one way or other, move it. If not, it's OK.

hes right, i just had the same problem on an rmz 450, replaced the cam chain and then they lined up mint.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.