2011 YZ450 coolant out of weep hole

3 replies to this topic
  • jcm3

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have a 2011 YZ450 with about 12 hours or so on it, mostly track riding. I thought I had a little leak out of the coolant drain bolt, so removed it and replaced the washer. When it kept leaking, I checked better, and it looks like it might be leaking out of the weep hole. I need to wash it and take it for a ride around the block to make sure (the bike had quite a bit of track dirt around the leak, so hard to tell at the track), but I should be able to confirm soon.

The leak is pretty light, I can ride 5+ laps, and the level is only down a tiny bit, usually still over or right at the fins.

I'm about 95% track, but a vet rider, so not pushing it too hard. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHxWa_iFByw), so a bit suprised by a leak so early on. This is my seventh YZ in my life, so I know how reliable they usually are.

I found this thread, but in doing lots of searches, I was not getting any appropriate hits. Anyone else have their new YZ leak water this early?

Thanks for any info.

• briangriff321

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Faulty water pump seal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted February 10, 2012 - 12:28 PM

If you have owned 7 yamaha's and this is your first water pump seal to go bad...consider yourself lucky

• jcm3

Posted February 10, 2012 - 05:46 PM

If you have owned 7 yamaha's and this is your first water pump seal to go bad...consider yourself lucky

Yeah, and some have had some life on them. I know they go bad, but I'm hoping it didn't start to leak in 15 hours. I'll clean it up and get a better look.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.