03 YZ450 Clutch Mod

2 replies to this topic
  • richard32

Posted February 10, 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hopefully someone can help me on this. I want to eliminate the clutch chatter issue that I have been having on my 450 for years and have found that the fix is replacing some of the components with the 02 wr426 parts. My question is that in the Dr. D handbook for mods for the 450 they say to install the wr 426 fiber plate, then the base ring, then the waiver spring followed by the rest of the clutch pack ending up with one extra fiber that you would not use which would mean the pressure plate would be up against a metal plate, is this right? The order of the 3 wr 426 parts does not match the order shown on the wr 426 break down. Also ending up with the last plate being a metal plate does not sound correct, can someone please help clarify? Thank you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2012 - 08:14 AM

There should actually be no reason for an '03 to chatter, but some of them did. If the basket is grooved, the basket cushions in the gear assembly have slack in them, the boss is grooved, or the friction plates have hardened, all those things will contribute.

Nonetheless, the parts and procedure is discussed here in the info for the '01 clutch mod for 2000 model 426's:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=461631

The parts you need are:

1 of JG-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION (item 12) **

1 of JG-16383-00-00 SPRING, CLUTCH BOSS (item 13) **

1 of JG-16384-00-00 PLATE, SEAT (item 14) **

To install, remove the whole clutch pack, place the "seat plate" (the flat ring) on the clutch boss (hub), followed by the "boss spring", the "dished" or conical spring plate. It's better to install it with the small end of the cone pointed out, but it will work either way.

Then, REPLACE the first friction plate of the original stack with the JG-16321-00-00 plate. This plate has a larger inside diameter to accommodate the spring, and take the place of the first plate in the stack. Then stack the rest of the plates in in the normal manner until you end up with a friction plate on the outside end where the pressure plate sits, and one original friction plate left over.

Done.

• richard32

Posted February 12, 2012 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for your help, I will try this. I have replaced the inner basket with a wiesco basket and put a new inner hub, pressure plate and clutch pack in it in the past and have never been able to make this chatter go away completly. So i am hoping that this mod does the trick.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.