? What Tools Do I Really Need ???

6 replies to this topic
  • Jerry57

Posted April 18, 2001 - 09:03 PM

I want to dis-assemble and re-assemble the forks on my '00 WR400F. Th books have a laundry list of special tools required. Which are really required and which are nice to have?

Please advise.

Jerry

------------------
Old Guy on WR400F following the KX_kid through the harrowing desert of Idaho at breakneck speed.

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 18, 2001 - 10:40 AM

Seal driver and maybe a damper rod holder. I do not know about actual disassembly of the cartridge itself, as in changing the valve stack, but you may need something for that.

I have not pulled apart these KYB's. My experience is w/ Showa's.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 18, 2001 - 01:59 PM

get a thin 17(?)mm wrench to remove the springs. I did it with a standard thickness wrench but it was a PITA & took two people - I couldn't hold the spring down and use the wrench simultaneously.

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 18, 2001 - 02:13 PM

Jerry, You are a bigger man than me. That is one area that I've always left alone for the Pro's to do. I just paid $105.00 for seals,fluid and service by my Yamaha guy. By the time you buy all of those expensive tools and parts Yamaha will go and change their fork specs and you'll be left with a bunch of cool tools that will do you no good. Plus those local shops could really use your business and get it done right the first time. Just my .02 Good luck, Dan

• Jerry57

Posted April 18, 2001 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I want to do it for the learning experience as well as the result.

I guess it is the engineer in me showing through. Maybe the stupidity.

Jerry

------------------
Old Guy on WR400F following the KX_kid through the harrowing desert of Idaho at breakneck speed.

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 18, 2001 - 04:06 PM

The more you know about your bike, the less you will get ripped off. Plus, your own work is guaranteed. Try and get a shop to back you up.

Depending on the amount of riding you do, change the fluids at least twice a year. The tools will pay off the VERY FIRST TIME you use them.

Sorry Dan, but I respectfully disagree with you.

Plus, how do you know they REALLY did change the fluids? Do you remember the gigantic Sears automotive scandal a few years back? Sears was not doing the work, but charging for it.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 19, 2001 - 05:56 AM

Kev, No problemo dude. If I did'nt have such an awsome dealership near my house I would definatly do it myself. See Ya, Dan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.