426 clutch problem

4 replies to this topic
  • lee-yzf426

Posted February 09, 2012 - 02:15 PM

Just put a new clutch cable on on the 426 adjust all the slack out of the cable , now when i put it in gear and pull the clutch in it wont roll forward , i started it up and it pulled of fine , it was working fine before i put the new cable on. Any ideas whats wrong ?

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Most of the problem is simply that it's a new clutch. A new clutch will drag (release incompletely) for a while until the friction plates become compacted (loose the resilience the lining has when new), sort of a compressive hardening that takes place, and "burn in" a little bit. This is especially true of the lower priced aftermarket plates. Be careful about staying on top of the cable adjustment for the first little while. It will tend to loose free travel pretty quickly at first, and if you set it up on the tight side and don't watch it closely, you'll end up with no play and damage the new plates.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lee-yzf426

Posted February 10, 2012 - 02:56 AM

Gray it was only a new cable i put on

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Well, see what happens when you're doing 3 things at the same time and the phone rings?

If you can get the free play adjustment to be correct, the cable is not the problem. It's actually pretty typical of the big YZF's to be difficult to roll in gear with the clutch in unless the clutch is nearly new and almost perfect. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it didn't do the same thing before you put the cable on. I know you said otherwise, but....

• maverickxp

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:56 AM

try adjusting the cable just a bit more, i just did the same thing, new cable and the clutch wasnt fully disengaging with the lever in, a quick adjustment and bam all better. make sure your doing your adjustments at the bottom by the motor too, not at the lever, that is only for fine tuning out the last bit of slack.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.