Aligning front end

3 replies to this topic
  • Tom_in_KS

Posted August 10, 2001 - 08:13 AM

Can some one give me some simple and clear instructions on the best way to re-align the front end on my YZ400? The reason I ask is I had a crash about 8 wks ago in wich I broke my ankle, dislocated my sholder and tore my rotator cuf so. I did not damage the bike much I think I just bent the bars a bit and may have the front wheel a little off center.

I will get new bars soon but I want to get the forks and wheel straight so I can see how bent the bars are first. Not to mention I won't be riding for a while yet..

I know I am asking for a lot but I could really use some clear instructions and tips if anyone has em?

Thanks

• sirhk

Posted August 10, 2001 - 09:27 PM

I had that happen to me once but luckily without all the injuries. Hopefully you get well soon. When I tweaked my front end all I did was loosen up all the fork pinch bolts on the upper and lower triple clamps and it popped back straight. I'm not guarenteeing that that'll fix it but it worked for me. I could actually hear everything flexing back straight as I loosened it all up. Once the triple clamps are loosened up you could probably just kick the tire stright (if you're not too sore :) )

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted August 10, 2001 - 11:21 AM

For "roughing" the front end back to normal use sirhk's method. Then follow this:

Tighten the axle. leaving the pinch bolts loose.

Then spin the fron tire and slam the brake on, do this 3-4 times and then tighten the caliper side pinch bolts.

Now spin the front wheel and slam the brakes on, do this 3-4 times and tighen the right side pinch bolts.

This will prevent unecessary suspension bushing wear.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• MikeOK

Posted August 10, 2001 - 05:36 PM

A method I have used it to take two yardsticks, place one on the lower part of your fork cross-ways through the spokes and another up as high as you can on the forks. You can loosen the pinch bolts and sight down the sticks to see that you got it all together straight. It helps to have someone to hold part of this mess together while you do the adjusting.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.