Who all has a street legal wr?

Yamaha WR450F 2007

• Please sign in to reply

195 replies to this topic
  • jonboat

TT Silver Member

619 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Kenda 270s are a decent DOT tire for the price. I get 1,500-2,000 miles out of them before they are no longer useful in the dirt.

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 10:39 PM

If my gearing is 14/50 am I good for cruising around 100? If I go to a 15 would that bump up to 110? And how much would this change my low end

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

339 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:14 PM

obviously with gearing your bike taller, you'll loose the "snap of the throttle" Will you notice it significantly... probably not. It will drop your RPM's from about 6600 to 6100 @ 100 km/hr, which isn't into the lugging end of things with these bikes..

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 09, 2012 - 11:20 PM

It's at 6600 going 100kmh? What is the red line then?

Do you know how fast 4th can go red line?

• zibbit u2

TT Bronze Member

339 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I think the redline is somewhere near 10,000-11000 rpm.. won't last long at those rpms.. but yeah, it'll do it momentarily.

consult the gearing calculator man.. honestly. you can choose which gear max speed, what the rpm limit limit is, what tire size your running, everything... absolutely everything and then some.

things to change as soon as you open it up...
-obviously what bike you're working with. 04 & up WR450's share the same ratio's.

top box-
-change the tire size in all of the appropriate boxes,
-change the RPM from 8250 to 10000,
-change the sprocket tooth count (lets say stock 14/50, current 15/50, custom 16/50)
-change the chain links (go count them on your bike) stock on our bikes are 114

second box-
change the min RPM to 1800-2000 ish..
this box is handy for telling you what RPM you'll be at what speed using the various tooth counts imputed above.

third box-
if you want to see what max speed for each get you'll get using various sprocket combo's

fourth box-
change what speed you want to see.. i.e... 50, 80, 100, 110
this box is handy to tell you what gear you can achieve the selected speed.. if you can't reach that speed the box will be empty.

fifth box-
to make changes to this graph, make them in the first box.. last column.
what this box does is let you see if you make a gearing change, what is that going to do for your rear tire spacing... i.e... get shorter or longer. So using this info you can make educated guesses if you switch from combo A to combo B and your distance changes -X amount.. then you'll probably have to either adjust your rear tires spacing or in extreme cases remove or add links.

sixth box- (left)
what this box does is show you if your chain will wear faster or slower depending on your gearing change... because a chain doesn't want to see the same tooth every rotation.

seventh box- (right)
don't care.. lol

Edited by rs25, March 10, 2012 - 06:02 PM.

• n16ht5

TT Addict

3,340 posts

Posted March 10, 2012 - 07:54 PM

http://youtu.be/rqLIrhUQUy0?hd=1

Seriously... 16/48 man. I rode trails with it and did great.. Cruise 65mph/100kmh at a purr. man up and do it

The stall at the first part was because the engine was cold and I stopped to get distance from them.

• MaxPower

TT Platinum Member

1,742 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 01:50 PM

Every WR in Australia is legal right off the showroom floor.
Sorry, just had to rub it in. :thumbsup:

Yea but they make you use it on the wrong side of the road.

Are there many bikes like the WR used on the roads where you live?
Without exaggeration, 80% or more bikes I see on the roads here in New Jersey are Harleys. I dont care for them, but people really seem to like those things. Very few single cylinder bikes. Most singles are DRZ then XR650 and KLR

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Most of the bikes in Calgary are sport bikes. Not many like mine at all here. People seem to stare and wave a lot

• td42ti

TT Member

61 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 02:10 AM

Yea but they make you use it on the wrong side of the road.

Are there many bikes like the WR used on the roads where you live?
Without exaggeration, 80% or more bikes I see on the roads here in New Jersey are Harleys. I dont care for them, but people really seem to like those things. Very few single cylinder bikes. Most singles are DRZ then XR650 and KLR

Heaps of enduro bikes on the road here. Most enduros are plated from the showroom floor here. Pretty even mix of dirt bikes, sport bikes, cruisers and scooters.

• Skratchy

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 08:15 AM

08 WR 450F - Street Legal

I used the Tusk kit from www.rockymountainatvmc.com. It's the least expensive, has wiring for everything, and you don't have to splice anything to install it (it is a separate wiring harness that attaches to the battery.
I don't use mine for street really, just to connect trails here in CO.

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 08:28 AM

08 WR 450F - Street Legal

I used the Tusk kit from www.rockymountainatvmc.com. It's the least expensive, has wiring for everything, and you don't have to splice anything to install it (it is a separate wiring harness that attaches to the battery.
I don't use mine for street really, just to connect trails here in CO.

Same kit I used. Only bad thing about it is the mirror... I washed it once and it fell out and shattered

• byggd

TT Titanium Member

2,923 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 08:34 AM

02 WR426 CA plated B4 the law changed.

• GlennR

TT Bronze Member

487 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I just bought an 08' that's plated today. The bike is originally from GA, can't plate bikes in NC, but can transfer a plated bike into NC. :thumbsup:

Not sure how well it will work as a dual sport. Seems most folks here are barely riding on streets, just to connect the trails out west. I'm in the NC mnts, but there's a lot more pavement between the trails than out west.

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 06:15 AM

I've been taking mine on 50km rides around the city and it's ok. I rode on the highway for a bit and thought this is boring. It's more fun if you can find some twisty roads

• GlennR

TT Bronze Member

487 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:42 PM

What do you guys tell the DMV and/or the inspectors when they want to know the milage, since the WR doesn't have an odometer? Seems they'll have a problem with that. Do they just write "N/A" or "inoperable" or what?

• nuckingfutts

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:50 PM

I just picked up a CA plated 01. Transfer and registration went fine, got a new sticker, just waiting on title. Not 100% sure when bike was originally licensed. Don't want to loose that plate.

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 09:12 PM

What do you guys tell the DMV and/or the inspectors when they want to know the milage, since the WR doesn't have an odometer? Seems they'll have a problem with that. Do they just write "N/A" or "inoperable" or what?

Mine has an odometer so do 05 and up

• GlennR

TT Bronze Member

487 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 03:31 AM

Mine has an odometer so do 05 and up

Hmmm? Mine's an 08' all I found in the Owner's Service Manual is "trip odometers". I guess I will have to look it over better.. Can anybody else confirm the 08' has an odometer? The unit is the small LCD one with only 2 buttons plus a reset button.

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hmmm? Mine's an 08' all I found in the Owner's Service Manual is "trip odometers". I guess I will have to look it over better.. Can anybody else confirm the 08' has an odometer? The unit is the small LCD one with only 2 buttons plus a reset button.

Same LCD I have. Shows speed and has a couple trip trackers and odometer . With time and such

• Stealth13

TT Silver Member

557 posts

Posted March 15, 2012 - 06:26 AM

Cops don't like wr450 for some reason, I was doing the speed limit yet again and one decides to pull a u turn in an intersection just to follow me around for a bit...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

WR450F starts only after blowing to the fuel tank by RanFo

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Passenger Footpegs - 07 WR450 by GPFree

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  57 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2007 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2007
  • * * * * -
  • 32 reviews
  • Last review by cbsander
  • On October 05, 2016
Forums
Photo

Valve job by RiderDeAzul

• 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.