Who all has a street legal wr?

Yamaha WR450F 2007

195 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted February 08, 2012 - 05:09 PM

Finally got mine insured and registered for street use, they didn't even ask to see the bike or anything :smirk:

• 1trackmind

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:07 PM

2003 450 plated in Utah.

• Stealth13

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Is it reliable for street riding ?

• TurboDon

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:39 PM

my 1999 wr400 is plated and has been since 2000
However i just bought this bike recently and when i went to transfer the title and register it in my name it was a major pain.
tookmonths of jumping thru hoops and a couple chp vin inspections to get it all sorted out.
It was a lot of work, but well worthit.

• ktmracing03

Posted February 08, 2012 - 10:10 PM

I just bought an '03 WR with supermoto wheels and tires that I just plated and insured. Been riding it around my neighborhood trying to build my faith in it, but can't quite get it to idle as it should. I cleaned the carb myself which didn't help so I took it to the stealership and had the re-jet and tune it which only made it worse as gas just poored out of the overflow so I took it back again and now it idles great with the choke on. Stupid me for thinking a dealership could fix my problems. lol. They supposedly changed the main jet but im guessing I need a larger pilot since the bike idels perfectly with the choke on.

Do you have stock wheels and tires on yours? Are you planning on going the sumo route? What gearing are you running while on the street?

• YZEtc

Posted February 08, 2012 - 10:18 PM

If your bike idles like shit off choke but much better with the choke on, I'd either clean-to-perfection or replace the pilot jet and make 101% sure the passageways are clear.
Was this bike sitting around a lot before you bought it?

• Corndawg389

Posted February 09, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Just picked up a plated '03 WR450 a few days ago. I haven't had any seat time yet other than the test ride at purchase. I prefer to check over the whole bike before going out for a 'surprise run'. So far the only glitch is the left turn signal control makes the headlight and tail light flash instead of the turn signal. Right side works fine. Three rights are equivalent to a left, right?

• Stealth13

Posted February 09, 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'm going to run dirt tires on the street till they wear down then maybe get some Dunlop 606. I live in Alberta hence why it was so easy to make it street legal without them even seeing the bike. I haven't even put the kit on yet lol

• kawi380

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Plated in AZ.

Posted Image

Head light, tail light with brake light, horn, mirror, license plate and $7.

• 1trackmind

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Is it reliable for street riding ?

It's plated so I can get from one riding place to another. In the forest and Moab I am less restricted in my travel. It doesn't see much pavement, just a few miles here and there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pschiess

Posted February 09, 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have a 2007 WR450f plated in CA. I only use it for connecting trails and not on open pavement use. I only did it to be legal to ride anywhere I wanted to go.

Posted Image

Edited by pschiess, February 17, 2012 - 10:32 PM.

• Eightball64

Posted February 09, 2012 - 03:57 PM

07 WR450F I plated in Michigan. Just because i wanted to. It is nice to ride to the trails or track. In the middle of suspension upgrade right now.

• VinceDC

Posted February 09, 2012 - 05:28 PM

I have a 99 WR400 plated in CO. The only issue can be the transmission. Because there is no damping system in the drive it puts more pressure on the trans. I tend to shift mine easy on the road since last year,but I mostly use it to get to trails anyway. Last year 4th gear started to pop out only on hard shifts on the road ,never in dirt. I just split the cases a few weeks ago and found worn dogs.Keep I mind that the motor had around 350-400 hours on it. If I had always shifted easy on the road it probably would not have happened.

• zlathim

Posted February 09, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Mine's not street legal, but I've thought about converting it.

I have a question though. Since these bikes will overheat so quickly on tight trails or just by idling too long; how do you guys keep the bike from overheating in heavy traffic or while stopped at a traffic signal?

• Bandit9

Posted February 09, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Plated, with just a horn. No signals. I don't even run the mirror.

• zibbit u2

Posted February 09, 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have a question though. Since these bikes will overheat so quickly on tight trails or just by idling too long; how do you guys keep the bike from overheating in heavy traffic or while stopped at a traffic signal?

Mines street legal in sumo form, I've never had an issue with over temp while sitting at a traffic light... yet, I've never rode the bike in rush minute traffic. Around here traffic flows pretty good. But, I suppose you could alway either install some sumo wheels and catwalk down the sidewalk, or.. leave the dirt setup on and drive in the ditch, or.. install larger radiators, jet it to run slightly rich at idle and if temp is still an issue then install a SPAL 4" pull type fan.

Edited by rs25, February 09, 2012 - 07:37 PM.

• Birdy426

Posted February 09, 2012 - 09:59 PM

cali plated 426 (444 big bore...not as reliable as I'd like), cali plated 250F (stroked and bored to 310) very reliable, great bike, cali plated 250 pinger, hell of a fun bike. Like many others, all are plated to connect trails, forest service roads, 2 track, ride national forest, etc.

• MANIAC998

Posted February 10, 2012 - 02:44 PM

'06 WR450 with 156 hours on it. Plated in Montana. God I love Montana!!!

• Ridesimple

Posted February 10, 2012 - 04:48 PM

'04 plated in Maine. ME just started requiring that motorcycle inspection stickers be displayed on the bike. Should be interesting getting a sticker on it, its almost street legal....

• Vineboy

Posted February 11, 2012 - 11:43 AM

Every WR in Australia is legal right off the showroom floor.
Sorry, just had to rub it in. :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Passenger Footpegs - 07 WR450 by GPFree

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  57 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve job by RiderDeAzul

• 10 replies
Forums
Photo

WR450F starts only after blowing to the fuel tank by RanFo

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Cover gasket keeps blowing by pbcrazy9898

• Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Installing 06-09 YZF forks on a 07-09 WRF - last post by motox04

Installing 06-09 YZF forks on a 07-09 WRF

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.