wr400 Wanting to run a big 100w front headlight. Stator upgrade options?

9 replies to this topic
  • TurboDon

Posted February 08, 2012 - 02:13 PM

First off,
Sorry to start another stator thread.
but my searches havent been able to quite pull up the information Im after. Please dont Flame!!
My bike is a 99 wr400 dual sport.
Im pretty sure the dual sport kit is the old baja designs one ( converted when bought new in 2000)
any way, the front headlight now isnt even coming close to cutting it.
We are planning some trips for the mojave trail and south of the border in Baja.
So I wanted to equip my bike with a trail tech or baja designs 8'' halogen 100w light.

Whats the best route to go for a stator that can power up one of these lights?
based on what ive seen, doesnt look like ricky stator, trail tech, or baja designs offer one so Im a little bewildered.

Thanks in advance!!

-Donald

• SXP

Posted February 08, 2012 - 05:54 PM

Look for a 2000-2002 WR400/WR426 stator. 120 watts and a direct drop in plug and play replacement. It's what I run on my 99 WR400 (all stock with no stator/Baja Design mods)

• TurboDon

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:01 AM

So I decided to give Ricky Stator a call.
Although its not on their site,
he said he can wind my 99wr stator to ≈ 130w
And the price is right around a dollar a watt.

seems like the ticket to me.

I dont think i could even find a 426 stator anywhere that cheap :smirk:

• redhurricane

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:23 PM

So I decided to give Ricky Stator a call.
Although its not on their site,
he said he can wind my 99wr stator to ≈ 130w
And the price is right around a dollar a watt.

seems like the ticket to me.

I dont think i could even find a 426 stator anywhere that cheap :smirk:

Ricky Stator has treated me well over the years. Do the HID kit, not the halogen 100w. You'll not regret it.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 13, 2012 - 11:45 PM

damn.... That's a lot of friggin light!

Edited by mauricedorris, February 13, 2012 - 11:46 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 748*2Risk

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hey TurboDon, how did the Ricky Stator work for you? Did you have to use that puller tool to get the stator in and out? Thinking about doing this for my WR400 too.

• Bandit9

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think it is just 3 phillips head screws to remove the stator.

I have Ricky Stator stuff in my 06, great help over the phone when installing and haven't had any problems with the stator or rectifier regulator that you will need to get too.

Edited by Bandit9, July 31, 2012 - 04:59 PM.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 30, 2012 - 04:22 PM

Yes, the stator can be removed by 3 phillips screws. But first, you've got to get the flywheel off, and that requires a puller.
Maniac

• Bandit9

Posted July 30, 2012 - 05:26 PM

I believe I used an impact gun, no puller. Is that possible? It has been several years ago though, so I'm lacking details and I still don't own a FW puller, so I got it off somehow.

• 748*2Risk

Posted July 31, 2012 - 04:50 PM

retifier regulator that you will need to get too.

I converted the lighting side of my bike to DC a long time ago with a Radio Shack rectifier, use the stock regulator and a small battery. Been working great but now I went to two 20wattt bulbs for driving and with the blinkers on at a stop light it sucks the volts down way fast. I'm thinking going from a stock 65 watt stator to that Ricky 130 watt would do the trick.

Edited by 748*2Risk, July 31, 2012 - 04:51 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.