08 muffler on an 04

4 replies to this topic
  • kydevildogmark

Posted February 08, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Anyone tried this? Seems as though the muffler pipe is larger on the 08 versus the 04, but everything else fits great. Only issue I am having is possible exhaust leak around the connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Using the '08 muffler is a great way to cork up the bike without even improving the noise level that much. Seriously, it's a "cute" design on the outside, but the internals are just stupid. Replacing that can on the '08 with almost anything results in 5hp gain or more in the mid range.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kydevildogmark

Posted February 09, 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yea if I had a choice I would be on a full system, but the original pipe when I got the bike had the end cutoff, shortened and riveted badly back together. was leaking everywhere around the end. I got this new 08 oem pipe for $1.00 so I bought it. Works good but not sure if when they hacked the pipe off if they changed the jets or I have a leak around the connection. Bike is stumbling and is poppin thought the exhaust bad so not sure what I am up against.

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:23 AM

Probably a leak at the mid pipe joint. The '08 has a larger header outlet than the earlier bikes.

• kydevildogmark

Posted February 09, 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yea that is what I am thinking trying to come up with a fix, but haven't come across anything intelligible yet.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.