Best and worst years of WR450

9 replies to this topic
  • 22racer

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:17 AM

I'm considering a used WR450 and would like to know if there are manufacture years I should stay away from or are the bikes the same from say, 2005-2011?. Is there a year Yamaha made improvements that would be preferable to have? How do I determine usage, is there an hour meter or odometer? Thanks, Jeff

• Stealth13

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:30 AM

All the ones 05 and up in Canada have odometer, speedo etc.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 07, 2012 - 04:29 PM

All of the wr450's are good. all of them from 03 and up are worth having.

I guess you could try to get the aluminum framed ones (07 and up) if you can. But I have an 05 and haven't felt the desire to change mine. It goes anywhere I want more reliablly than that the other bikes in my garage.

determinine miles is hard to do. Look for wear around the areas where the boots go or where the frame would have come into contact with rocks and roots. Check the swing arm. you can see wear there.

But to be honest with you, the motor will last so long that you'll get bore with it long before it stops running on you.

Edited by mauricedorris, February 07, 2012 - 04:30 PM.

• MrBlahh

Posted February 07, 2012 - 04:58 PM

first year of electric start is a bad year, but it's easy to fix them and you can tell if they are fixed without opening up the engine

• YamaJet

Posted February 07, 2012 - 06:02 PM

Here is a run down of the model year changes

http://www.thumperta...l-year-changes/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustdogg

Posted February 07, 2012 - 06:08 PM

first year of electric start is a bad year, but it's easy to fix them and you can tell if they are fixed without opening up the engine

This is true. 2003 is the first year of the WR 450. There were issues with the E-start but was easily fixed with the updated '04 parts. This is really the only year that comes to mind when looking for a WR 450. California riders need to be aware that '03 & '04 WR's were RED sticker which is a deal breaker for some.

• Vineboy

Posted February 11, 2012 - 11:51 AM

i've got an '03. how can you tell if this mod has been done from the outside?

• MrBlahh

Posted February 11, 2012 - 11:52 AM

if the starter side cover is flat it's the original part with no clutch

if it's rounded it shoudl be the upgraded parts with a clutch to prevent breakage and flywheel key sheering

• Vineboy

Posted February 11, 2012 - 12:37 PM

if the starter side cover is flat it's the original part with no clutch

if it's rounded it shoudl be the upgraded parts with a clutch to prevent breakage and flywheel key sheering

Are you talking about the grey plate just above the front sprocket? Mine is pretty flat but with a slight curve.

• MrBlahh

Posted February 11, 2012 - 12:47 PM

sounds like you have the original gear

the upgraded part with the built in clutch is longer and requires a taller cover like this one

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1260wt_1073

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.